Pappys Pub Cider - Stalled Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James0816

Reaction score
Think I need some help here guys. Got a 5g of pappy's brewing and appears the fermentation has stalled. It was rolling right along at first then I moved to the basement to do it's thing. I just went and checked on it and nothing in the airlock and SG is only down to 1.030. No where near where it needs to be. Crikey! I did give it a good swirl a few hours ago but nothing happened there.

What do I need to do to get this back on track? I am using EC1118 yeast.

Are you measuring SG with a hydrometer of refractometer?

Could be that dropping the temp is slowing it down. Can you bring it back up where it was warmer?

What is DAP? nutrient?
Yes. Diammonium Phosphate. It's the simplest nutrient I think and been around a loong time. I use 1 gram per gallon with my ciders.

There's a book by master cider maker Claude Jolicoeur called The New Cider Maker's Handbook that is the cider bible. French cider makers use apples with low nitrogen and allow the ferment to stall on purpose, to get residual sweetness. If the yeast stall early, he claims that adding 25 ppm of DAP will bring it down another 10 gravity points. Never tried it myself.

So I'm repitching another packet of EC1118. Question.....do I only let it go until it drops below 1.000 or will it die out due to the alcohol level?

After degassing yesterday, i measured again and it was still at 1.030. Temp of the must is 74.

ok guys, need some major help here. ferment is pretty much dead.

I re-pitched another packet of EC1118, I've added another 2.5 tsp of energizer and still nothing. it is still sitting at 1.030. I have never had a batch do this on me. I have another cider going at the same time using EC1118 and it will probably be done tomorrow. Took a reading and it was below 1.

Is it safe to say that this batch of Pappy's cider is done? It's a wash...pour it out and start over?

ok guys, need some major help here. ferment is pretty much dead.

I re-pitched another packet of EC1118, I've added another 2.5 tsp of energizer and still nothing. it is still sitting at 1.030. I have never had a batch do this on me. I have another cider going at the same time using EC1118 and it will probably be done tomorrow. Took a reading and it was below 1.

Is it safe to say that this batch of Pappy's cider is done? It's a wash...pour it out and start over?
How does it taste? If it's tasty but just too sweet, you could serve it as a dessert cider or blend with a very dry batch as back sweetener. You just need to be sure to stabilize so it doesn't start back up. It'd be a shame to toss it if it otherwise tastes okay.

As mentioned above by @marc1 you mention stalled after moved to basement.

Is the ferment warm enough, make sure temp is around 20 celsius in the liquid not surface temp reading and if you have enough nutrients it will get going again.

I've made plenty of cider in the past no yeast added just natural from apples, no nutrient either and just left it for several months and it all fermented to bone dry.

As mentioned above by @marc1 you mention stalled after moved to basement.

Is the ferment warm enough, make sure temp is around 20 celsius in the liquid not surface temp reading and if you have enough nutrients it will get going again.

I've made plenty of cider in the past no yeast added just natural from apples, no nutrient either and just left it for several months and it all fermented to bone dry.

It's reading 74 in the basement. I have repitched and even added 2.5tso of energizer.. I have swirled and stirred. It's just done.

Sounds like you have given the cider every chance, temp , food and more yeast.
Taste test worthwhile. Can't see a reason for it to stall at 1.030, daft question was it a kit with concentrate apple juice?

Normally yes but since this recipe is pretty specific....no

What does the recipe have to do with tasting a sip? I'm not trying to be a nag, I'm genuinely confused...

Anyway, I'd bring it back upstairs where it's warmer and leave it a month. Check the gravity and give it a taste then.

Back