Pancake Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconnuke

Reaction score
Fermentables:
Amber Dry Malt Extract
6 lb
American Black Patent
0.5 lb
Crystal 120L
1.6lb
American Chocolate Malt
2lb
Maple Syrup
2 lb
Roasted Barley
1 lb

Hops:
Northern Brewer
1 oz, 60 min
Nugget
1 oz, 30 min
Fuggles
1oz, 5 min

Dry hopped in secondary with vanilla beans.

Had a lot of issues with a blowout (airlock instead of blowoff tube, so a true blowout) due to still doing ambient temperature fermentations. Has noticeable fusel alcohols, though they're doing a great job of aging out every week or so. Other than obvious (temperature) feedback, any thoughts?

Looks pretty good for a stout. Just out of curiosity though, did you do an actual partial mash or just steep the grains? Because I don't see any base grain with which you could do a mash.

Also, I don't want to burst your bubble, but have you used maple syrup in brewing before? Sadly a lot of the maple flavors get scrubbed out by fermentation and you're left with a somewhat aromatic-woody flavor. I was disappointed by the results.

Just steeped the grains. Never used the maple syrup before, but it did end up leaving some decent maple flavors.

Back