Palmer's Cincinatti Pale Ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscbert

Reaction score
I followed the reciepe and let it ferment for 19 days. Last night I bottled it.
I tasted it last night and it was fairly tasteless. Could barely detect any hops. Tasted more like a Budwesier than a Pale ale. Will the flavors come out more as the beer conditions in the bottles?

No- if anything they decline over time. Tell a bit more about your whole process- there are a lot of things that can contribute to a lack of hop utilization and flavor.

How big of a boil did you do?

How long did you boil it for?

Did you taste it before you pitched the yeast?

My boil was pretty weak because my stove couldnt produce enough heat.

I boiled 6 AAU's Nothern Brewer hops for 60 minutes. Boiled half of my finishing hops 5AAU's Cascade hops for 30 minutes. Boiled the rest of Cascade hops for 15 minutes.

I didnt taste it before pitching the yeast.

Hmm... I think maybe you didn't use enough hops. The book says 12 AAU's of bittering and 5 AAU's of aroma hops for 5 gallons.

my book says 6 AAU's of bittering and 5 AAU's of finishing... I never thought about the boil issue. That is probably what it was. Bummer. My Pale ale wont be very hoppy, but I will still drink it. I will have to invest in a turkey fryer or risk using a lid to get the wort at a boil.

Thanks for the help!

Ah, that is weird. I don't have the book, but I keep the website bookmarked. It's double on the website: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7.html

Whenever I do stovetop, I always have to do a split boil. The more water you boil, the better your hop utilization will be, too. If you can only do a partial boil, it won't be as hoppy as if you are boiling the full 6 gallons. But yes- switching to a turkey fryer made a huge difference.

And you're in luck- turkey fryers are cheap right now, and will be even cheaper the 1st week of december when places want to clear them out!!

Palmer's website assumes a partial boil, all extract upfront, and therefore calls for more hops than the book, which assumes either a full boil or late extract addition. So I think that would account for recipe differecnes.

Also, a weak boil will adversely affect hops.

That makes sense. Would have been nice if it was mentioned in the book. Especially since i paid for it and the website is free.... Lesson learned..

Back