Pale Chocolate Malt Idea ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
I know techinically when using Pale Chocolate malt, you are suppose to use a small dosage. Has anyone ever used Pale Chocolate Malt as a major grain on their grain bill before.. I am just thinking about goofin around with a small test batch with about 25% being pale chocolate..any ideas or thoughts????

I've used up to 30% caramels in a porter, so I don't think you'll have any problem mashing. I've used a pound of pale chocolate in a brown. On the other hand, I have my doubts about using so much of it without some caramel or other grain to provide a sweet touch.

One can only try and you could use some lactose to back-sweeten if the results are disappointing.

Thanks!! Yea what I did is a I made a milk stout with it. I added lactose in the boil to give it some unfermentable sugars. Also, in the grain bill I added caramel malt and medium crystal. The medium crystal is supposedly suppose to bring out the chocolate tones but we will see.

Back