pale ale light exposure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramjam

Hopfen und Malz Gott erhalts
Reaction score
i brewed a pale ale this weekend with a bunch of fruity late addition hops i had a couple of black tee shirts covering the fermenters in the garage, i am using voss kveik yeast so i was fermenting it hot, anyway i came in and one of the tee shirts has fell off of the glass carboy, it wasn’t in direct sunlight but how fast does indirect sunlight affect hoppy beers, should i be worried about it?

thanks, i tried it today it tasted great, yesterday when i noticed that the shirt had been knocked off i was removing the blowoff tube and was going to dryhop and i could smell something odd, i guess it was just the old starsan and yeast blowoff bucket

Keep in mind, not only sunlight can skunk your beer, Fluorescent lights and possibly other lights too, depending on duration and intensity.

it isn't just any light that makes the skunkiness in beer but UV light. The stronger the UV, the quicker the skunkiness happens. The diffused light in your garage probably didn't have enough UV to make the beer go off in the time it was uncovered.

I didn't realize this was that much of a concern. It spends the majority of its life in the ferm chamber but I guess when I pull it out once or twice a day to check on it or stir dry hops I will close the blinds from now on.

Back