Pale Ale - hops suggestions for brighter citrus flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somegeek

Reaction score
Looking to adjust this a bit but not sure what direction to go in regarding different hops for brighter flavor. Lemondrop? Idaho 7? Currently I get pineapple and strawberry out of this recipe. It's one of my favorite recipes and my house PA currently. Thoughts?

Mash at 158 for body - 13.5lbs two row
60 minutes
- bittering - .5 magnum
5 mintues
- 1oz Amarillo
- 1oz Citra
0 minutes
- 1oz Eukanot
Cool to 145F
- 1oz Amarillo
- 1oz Citra
Whirlpool 10 minutes

US05 to ferment 62f four days/67 four days

Five days into ferment - few points left in fermentation - dry hop
- 2oz Citra
- 1oz Eukano

I just bought some yeast from Omega (OYL-052) which is their DIPA/Conan strain. It is supposed really accentuate hop character. I plan on making my first DIPA with cascade and centennial so I am anticipating getting slapped with grapefruit!

I just bought some yeast from Omega (OYL-052) which is their DIPA/Conan strain. It is supposed really accentuate hop character. I plan on making my first DIPA with cascade and centennial so I am anticipating getting slapped with grapefruit!

I used this for an American Barleywine, because I wanted to accentuate the bitter and hop flavor - still not balanced, but more "American-y". And it turned out really nice, just won a bronze medal. The beer didn't clear as well as I would have liked, but that's my only complaint.

Many/most have switched to flameout or steeping the hops at 160 deg or so to get the most flavor out of the hops without the bitter. Eliminating all hop additions during the boil except the 60 minute bittering charge...I switched to nothing but a 160 hop addition my last brew and it had the most hop flavor of any of my IPA/pale ales.

I've used centennial before but I was not able to discern flavors vs a previous batch... it was good however!

This batch, overall I'm using...

60 minutes
- bittering - .5 magnum
5 minutes
- .5oz Amarillo
- 1oz Citra
0 minutes
- 1oz Lemondrop
Cool to 145F/whirlpool
- 1/2oz Amarillo
- 1oz Lemondrop
Whirlpool 10 minutes
Dry Hop
- 1/2oz Amarillo
- 1oz Lemondrop

Will look at raising my whirlpool temp to 160 next batch.

This was brighter tasting at transfer into the fermenter vs some previous batches. Stoked to see how this turns out.

Thanks for the replies!

Looking to adjust this a bit but not sure what direction to go in regarding different hops for brighter flavor. Lemondrop? Idaho 7? Currently I get pineapple and strawberry out of this recipe. It's one of my favorite recipes and my house PA currently. Thoughts?

Mash at 158 for body - 13.5lbs two row
60 minutes
- bittering - .5 magnum
5 mintues
- 1oz Amarillo
- 1oz Citra
0 minutes
- 1oz Eukanot
Cool to 145F
- 1oz Amarillo
- 1oz Citra
Whirlpool 10 minutes

US05 to ferment 62f four days/67 four days

Five days into ferment - few points left in fermentation - dry hop
- 2oz Citra
- 1oz Eukano

As per the first person that replied to your original post, the words "brighter flavor" really jumps out at me and I'm wondering if your pH is too high. Assuming you're brewing all-grain here.

You want your mash pH for light beers somewhere around 5.3-5.4 and 5.4-5.5 for dark beers. 5.3 brightens flavors and adds crispness. 5.5 rounds them out more. It seems like a small thing, but the effects on your beer are huge.

As per the first person that replied to your original post, the words "brighter flavor" really jumps out at me and I'm wondering if your pH is too high. Assuming you're brewing all-grain here.

You want your mash pH for light beers somewhere around 5.3-5.4 and 5.4-5.5 for dark beers. 5.3 brightens flavors and adds crispness. 5.5 rounds them out more. It seems like a small thing, but the effects on your beer are huge.

What is the most common way to measure and correct this if it needs correcting?

I like Lemon Drop.

Agreed. Just made a saison with Lemon Drop. Never had used it before and totally see where the name came from. Not sure if it's giving the "orange-y citrus" you are probably after for a Pale, but this is a great hop. I will be trying it in other brews as it has a nice crisp lemony flavor.

Agreed. Just made a saison with Lemon Drop. Never had used it before and totally see where the name came from. Not sure if it's giving the "orange-y citrus" you are probably after for a Pale, but this is a great hop. I will be trying it in other brews as it has a nice crisp lemony flavor.

I've used Sorachi Ace once, and I don't remember for sure but I think it was lemony.

Lemon hop flavor in a Saison is wonderful. Haven't tried Lemon Drop in one, but have use Sorachi Ace and it was nice.

The last several times I've used El Dorado it had an awesome lemon character. Made several great East Coast IPA's and a very interesting NEIPA.
1/2 oz.at 5.
1/2 oz. at 0.
1 oz. @ WP.
And I personally whirlpool at a bit higher temp, around 175.

Oh yeah, and the 5.3 pH thing.

There are a number of ways to get to the proper ph. Here are 2 common ones:

1. Build your grain bill in a program that can help you hit the proper ph. Most commonly this can be done by adding a few oz of sour (acid) malt.

2. Measure and adjust mid math. This will require a ph meter, some acids and bases to add to the mash to make those adjustments, and of course a program that can help you do that.

This is a super over simplified explanation. There are other variables such as your water chemistry that can be thrown in as well, but there are 2 options to start with.

Personally, I use Beersmith to build my recipe and use acid malt to drop my ph to the target. I still check it 15 min in, but I haven't tried to adjust it. I might be off a few points but I just ride it out.

Honestly mash pH has only a little to do with it... pH at the beginning and end of the boil is more important. If the mash pH is correct sometimes it all falls in line but often it doesn’t.

What is the most common way to measure and correct this if it needs correcting?

The most common way for homebrewers to measure and correct is to use a pH meter to test the mash liquor at about 20 minutes, and add small amounts of an acid like lactic acid to drop the pH, or baking soda to raise pH. I use this meter: https://www.thermoworks.com/High-Accuracy-pH-Meter-8689

It's best done by estimating your mash pH in advance using one of the mash chemistry calculators, but this isn't necessary. There's also an easy way to get started using this method: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/a-brewing-water-chemistry-primer.198460/

Ensuring your mash pH is in the ~5.4 range is of critical important for all-grain brewing. Other than dialing in flavors, it also prevents the extraction of harsh flavor compounds. One of the most common being a harsh astringency from too high a pH.

Back