Paint strainer bag position on siphon cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MB331

Reaction score
I've used the bag when filtering hops to my secondary or bottling bucket. Usually I tie the bag to the end of the cane with the bag floating in the wort. This has worked well and I leftmost of the hops behind. Last time I tied the bag high up on the cane with the bottom of the bag snug against the cane. This resulted in a lot of oxygen and bubbles running through the tubing. Was this a fluke or is the correct way to leave the bag loose in the wort?

Not sure the proper way to use the paint strainer bag, but I have used a small amount of cheese cloth around the end of the siphon and that worked well. No oxygenation issues and you don't have to deal with the large bag on the cane. Give that a try.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've had similar issues when pulling the strainer bag tight, but it doesn't need to be super loose either. Think of it like a condom, you just need a little "reservoir tip." :)

Latest posts

Back