pacman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
well i had my first rogue beer today. i found dead guy ale in a local liquor store and gav it a shot. i really like it. i like the malty german styles and i love the hoppy twist rogue put on it. it got me thinking a while ago i saw a ton of threads on pacman yeast. i kno it is in here but wat is the big deal w/ it? wat does it add thats so special?

Double Bump

Just pitched this in our wee heavy. I have no idea why, seemed like a good idea at the time...

mike

bascially, pacman is the yeast strain they use at Rogue. Wyeast was able to sell it for a limited time so a bunch of people around here got some which is why you saw the flurry of threads on it a few months back. I think you can still find it if you try hard enough but I'm not sure if those packs are past their expiration date yet. Wyeast moved on to Flying Dog yeast after Rogue.

wats the big deal about it tho? is it that great of a yeast or does it just make a closer clone of rogues brews?

it's suppose to be the yeast they use in their beers, that's all.

MLynchLtd said:
Double Bump

Just pitched this in our wee heavy. I have no idea why, seemed like a good idea at the time...

mike

I brew several beers this year using pacman yeast. (I repitch on my yeast cake)
With the wee heavy you may see that your FG may be lower than antisipated. It tends to finish a little dry. For dark beers it's a really nice yeast actually.
For an ale yeast it ferments down in the higher end lager temperatures. Possible that you may use it for an alt or Kölsh?

Good to know, we may pull it out of the primary early then and stick it in a secondary. Thanks for the info!

mike

Back