Pacman Pooped Out on Me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I pitched some Pacman that I reculctured from a couple of bottles of Rogue. I stepped it up 2 times. I pitched it on Monday into an IPA. The Starting Gravity was about 1.054 It is now at about 1.05o and has sat there for 3 days. It had started fermenting. Typical floaties signs of krausen. I used ferm-cap for the first time also. It left a white residue on top of the beer.

Should I re-pitch some nottingham so that I do not have to throw out a batch of beer or should I RDWHAHB?

I pitched some Pacman that I reculctured from a couple of bottles of Rogue. I stepped it up 2 times. I pitched it on Monday into an IPA. The Starting Gravity was about 1.054 It is now at about 1.05o and has sat there for 3 days. It had started fermenting. Typical floaties signs of krausen. I used ferm-cap for the first time also. It left a white residue on top of the beer.

Should I re-pitch some nottingham so that I do not have to throw out a batch of beer or should I RDWHAHB?

RDWHAHB
Dude, you're over panicing again. :D
Give the fermenter a slight swirl and leave it alone for another week.

What temp are you fermenting at?

I have it in a water bath trying to keep the temp between 62 and 68. I could move it into the house to sit about 68-70.

I always error on the side of caution and panic. It was the first time I used fermcap, SO i thought that could be an issue. EIther that or underpitching.

I have it in a water bath trying to keep the temp between 62 and 68. I could move it into the house to sit about 68-70.

I always error on the side of caution and panic. It was the first time I used fermcap, SO i thought that could be an issue. EIther that or underpitching.

My friend, If I were down near you I'd come over and slap you aside the head for panicking so much :D This is about RDWHAHBing...

What I would do is take it out of the water bath now...since it sat in it through the primary part of fermentation...The mere act of lifting it out of the bath may be enough to restart fermentation if it is indeed stuck. Put it in the 68 to 70 environment and leave it for another week...

Next saturday if nothing's happenned then re pitch...but I doubt you'll need to.

Rogue doesn't use Pacman for everything, but you should have seen more action regardless. A week is excessive. I would re-pitch today.

I guess the main reason I am concerned is that the whole time I built it up, it did not krausen or was not very active. It is now not very active and since it only moved from 1.054 to 1.050 When I was building it up, my og seemed to stick also. I do not want to risk the money of the ingredients with waiting too long. I will be patient, but I am not sure if waiting until next saturday would be good. That would be almost 2 weeks with no fermentation.

How did you step up the PacMan? You said two times. Most sources recommend more steps in smaller volume increments. You have me worried, as I am about to attempt the same thing with a harvest from a bottle of Shakespeare Stout. I intend to follow Rajotte's recommendations of a first step of 10ml, then 40, 160, 300 and finishing of with 1l. A bit more work, but it supposedly gives a healthier herd of yeasties.

I did a standard starter and then doubled it. Not sure that was correct. I would make sure it is really active when you pitch it and make sure you have more than enough yeast. It sucks to relax and have a homebrew. I have a feeling that I will be purchasing more Rogue to try again. I am glad I keep a packet of Notingham around. If it has not moved off of 1.050 by tuesday, I am going to pitch the nottingham. I do not want to waste a batch of beer waiting on yeast.

SO Revvy was right, as usual. It warmed back up and started to ferment. I have since put it back in water with some ice to cool it a little more. Rogue ferments their beers at 60 degrees. I want to ferment this thing somewhat cold. Ferm-cap has kept the krausen down some.

SO Revvy was right, as usual. It warmed back up and started to ferment. I have since put it back in water with some ice to cool it a little more. Rogue ferments their beers at 60 degrees. I want to ferment this thing somewhat cold. Ferm-cap has kept the krausen down some.

Good to hear....So what's the lesson my friend?????

[youtube]lyl5DlrsU90[/youtube]

(Consider this your punishment for not RDWHAHBing.) :D

RDWHAHB and never cool your wort to 62 before fermentation starts. Let it start, then cool it down. I have to identify what went wrong too. If I only RDWHAHB, then it would still be sluggish. Oh yeah, I must give a shout out to Rev-vy Rev-vy, Rev-vy!

RDWHAHB and never cool your wort to 62 before fermentation starts. Let it start, then cool it down. I have to identify what went wrong too. If I only RDWHAHB, then it would still be sluggish. Oh yeah, I must give a shout out to Rev-vy Rev-vy, Rev-vy!

Alright. It is officially been stuck for a week. It has not moved off of 1.020. Now, I could Relax and keg this thing, but it really should be about 1.011 or so. The starting gravity was 1.054.

Here is the recipe from Brewers best

2 cans LME
1 pound crystal
1/2 pound victory
2 oz cascade for boil and 1.5 ounce for aroma

Yeast is Pacman culturted from a bottle. Should I relax or should I do something to fix?

I know Revvy will first tell me to RDWHAHB, so once I get back from running my daughter to my in-laws, I will have the last of my American WHeat tonight.

Roust the yeast again, bring the temp back up to 68-70F.
Roust the yeast again, give it another week and let it condition some.

The temp is at 70 degrees for the past week. I have swirled it a coupl eof times. Should I get the yeast up everyday?

The temp is at 70 degrees for the past week. I have swirled it a coupl eof times. Should I get the yeast up everyday?

I just ran the numbers and you should be in the range of 10.12-14...

Try wrapping a blanket around it and get it up above 70...get it close to 75...you too far past primary fermentation to worry about any fuesils...

Remember though...this isn't a pure strain of pacman from a smack pack it is bottle harvested and more stressed, that's why I don't list it as being at full attenuation in my beersmith...

You know...when you come to Detroit you have to bring me some of this...I feel like its bloody godfather :cross:

relax dont worry have a homebrew........i was already doing that....

You get a gold star!!!!

small_gold_star.png

:mug:

Yeah, I will have to bring something. This one is a brewers best from my bro. I had to brew it. At least there are a lot of hops to cover up the twang.

I need to brew something else to bring up. If I can get the Old ale brewed, I could bring up some of it. The local brewpub has not ordered grains yet. I am wating for them to order me some American 2 row and Maris.

Back