Oyster Stout Variations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedMan99

Reaction score
Have been wanting to do an oyster stout for sometime as its one of my favorite ingredients/brews, and thinking..... what other mollusks have people brewed with?
Snails.... Mussells...... ?

Would love to hear

Have been wanting to do an oyster stout for sometime as its one of my favorite ingredients/brews, and thinking..... what other mollusks have people brewed with?
Snails.... Mussells...... ?

Would love to hear
Montauk brewery does a scallop stout, and it didn’t really have any flavors of the ingredient the year I got out to their taproom to have it. I made a small batch of HB with enough scallops to taste them and a tincture of bacon. (Bacon wrapped scallop stout, sounds interesting) I will not be repeating this brew. Maybe use just the shells for the calcium. The vast majority of commercial oyster stouts are just shells and perhaps a small amount of salt to give the perception of brine.

Ive had a few oyster stouts that I really enjoyed. Others were meh.

It's interesting to think that what is being pulled is perhaps a minor salinity from the oysters, proteins, and calcium from shells. Very easy to replicate the profile with standard ingredients.....

Makes me think of years ago we were brewing the perfect pumpkin ale. Tried a number of styles at our sitting table building the recipe. My buddy went to the bathroom and I pulled out a miller lite from the back of the fridge, added some pumpkin pie spice, and mixed up good. Had it ready in a pint glass when he got back and handed it to him for the next sample to decrypt the flavor profile.

I said this one came from an organic brewery that only sources their pumpkins from local farmers then return a percentage of their proceeds to programs helping our small farms keep afloat. Even grow most of the spices that go into this in a temp controlled greenhouse to limit carbon footprint on supply chain.

He immediately said, wow - I can really taste the pumpkin in this one. Fresh nutmeg really comes through....Ginger profile is prominent and can tell its fresh. my favorite yet! I broke him the news....

Moral of the story, the narrative is what controls ;)

Back