Oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTCS

Reaction score
I have a question about oxygenation of beer. Many months ago, 8-9, I kegged my second beer. It was tasting pretty good. After coming back from a work trip I discovered that it apparently had a leak and CO2 was empty, beer was flat. I refilled and tried the beer again and it tasted terrible, I would have described it as cardboard, which is usually what O2 exposure is listed as tasting like. I was bummed as it was not drinkable. So, winter months hit and I haven't brewed in a while. About to start again and decided it was time to dump what was in the keg. On a whim though I decided to try one last time, and I can no longer taste the cardboard. It's by no means an amazing beer, but it's drinkable. I thought once a beer had been oxygenated it was permanent? Could I have been tasting something else, and what could it have been? I don't think it matters but this was an Amber Ale.

I think there is a good chance that it was oxidized, but oxidized isn't always a bad thing. Barrel aged beers are transformed by the oak, by the spirit was in the barrel before, AND by oxygen. It takes time for that flavor to round out, and it isn't a flavor that you want in your Amber, but it isn't "bad".

Latest posts

Back