Oxygen tank setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
Hey all, wanting some input on an o2 tank setup - my disposable o2 tank regulator died and I'm tired of dealing with it. So, I called a welding supply company and I can get a 20cu ft cylinder with the o2 for 69.00.

Question is, do I need a regulator at all? I already have the tubing and stone from my old setup. Could I just hook the tubing to the cylinder and barely crack the tank open? I've done all my o2 injections by time and visual cues thus far anyway... If not, harbor freight sells a regulator, is that one ok or not worth getting? Any ideas appreciated.

Do you need a regulator?? Um... YES.

Even if you "just crack it a little bit", you still have 500-1500psi of pressure coming out of the tank. I doubt you would like to find out what that feels like shooting through one of your appendages. That being said, buy a quality regulator, not some cheap knock off from Harbor Freight. I wouldn't trust Harbor Freight Tools, one time you use it, the next it fails without warning. But hey, I just try and be safe about absurd pressures, just me.

Fair enough.... I'd seen it mentioned elsewhere and figured I'd ask about it before actually trying it.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth keeping that much oxygen on hand considering how little I brew high gravity beers. Most of my beers are under 1.050 with dry yeast, with the occasional use of liquid yeast. I can replace my busted regulator for 20.00 from Williams Brewing. Still contemplating it. But I now know I need a real regulator if I go the other way.

Edited to add: went with another regulator for the disposable bottles. Seems easier for now.

Back