Multi-tank Manifold setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humor4fun

Reaction score
I recently became the proud owner of a second CO2 tank and am considering whether to just use it as a backup (both are 5lb tanks) or of there's a way I could chain together a 2way manifold and a second manifold for distributing the gas.

I think I'd like to connect the two tanks as inputs into the same gas-line system But I can't seem to find any products made for beer (ish) on Google that do this, but it would seem that I could logically and mechanically take a two way manifold, feed the two tanks as the bottom lines to a single line off the side and then run that into another manifold with all the regulators. Has anyone tried this? Are manifolds a one-way piping? Is this going to make the tanks explode when I connect them? Will it void my homeowners insurance if my house burns down as a result?

As long as you do not have both tanks open and their respective manifold valves opened as well - which would put the two regulators in contention - your scheme will work ok.

That said, I would not recommend it, and instead would keep one tank unconnected and closed tight in reserve, to minimize the chance of any leaks emptying your "back-up" cylinder while you're not looking. All you'd lose is the small amount of time to switch tanks when necessary...

Cheers!

[ I ] would keep one tank unconnected and closed tight in reserve, to minimize the chance of any leaks emptying your "back-up" cylinder while you're not looking. All you'd lose is the small amount of time to switch tanks when necessary...
That^

Back