Oxygen flow meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using the oxygenation kit from William's Brewing, and I love it. Great fermentations with better attenuation than my splashing before.

In the spirit of reproducibility, however, I feel a bit troubled. The regulator for the Williams kit has no markings - essentially I can turn on the gas and turn it off with little/no ability to ensure the flow is consistent from one batch to the next.

I'm looking for advise on the simplest flow meter - ebay style. There are some that are "pens" that look like they go in line, I know others are far fancier with a meter attached to the regulator etc.

I'm looking for simple - a way to ensure I'm near 1L/min. This way I then can focus on the duration of flow to work on consistency from batch to batch.

Thanks!

A good solution to your problem is about 25 posts down from this one, thread starts with "I'm at a crossroads with...."

When I'm at work I'll occasionally cross check patient flow meters with the pen-style O2 flowmeter I keep in my scrubs pocket. I find it to be quite accurate. That being said, you still need a way to actually "dial in" a desired flow from your regulator.

When I'm at work I'll occasionally cross check patient flow meters with the pen-style O2 flowmeter I keep in my scrubs pocket. I find it to be quite accurate. That being said, you still need a way to actually "dial in" a desired flow from your regulator.

Interesting - so what your saying is that they are accurate - but they cannot be used in-line continuously to measure flow?

Interesting - so what your saying is that they are accurate - but they cannot be used in-line continuously to measure flow?

I'm sure you could rig one to be stationary and act as a continuous meter. How do you plan to dial in low flows such as 2 to 4 Lpm? A small in line valve may work by slowly opening it until you see desired flow on the meter.

Back