Oxygen and hydrogen supplying using electrolysis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalon

Reaction score
I once saw alternative to air bubbler in hydroponics that uses electrolysis to supply oxygen into water. It is superior oxygenation technology since anode produces pure oxygen bubbles so tiny that stay for long time in water. So I got idea to supply oxygen to yeast to boosts it's growth using corrosion resistant titanium platinum coated anode. This way hydrogen gas also being produced which has anti aging and health benefits.
What I'm concerned about is that this can change ph of kvass solution due to alkaline metal accumulation on cathode and yeast likes acidic 5,5ph water. Although oxygen should acidify water. As well I'm not sure if some harmful materials could be produced in process.

Last edited:
Several questions/issues I'd have with this method.

1. Hydrogen is explosive; what is done to ensure that accumulating hydrogen doesn't pull a Hindenberg on you?

2. Will this work in wort? Yes, wort is almost completely water, but it has sugar in it as well as other compounds; does an electrode setup like this work in wort?

3. What's the rate? We pretty much understand how to use oxygen and a stone to oxygenate wort; how would we measure or determine the DO levels of the wort?

4. I like to isolate my wort from outside influences as quickly as possible. A minute of O2 from a wand seems to work for me. How long would I need to have this in my wort to oxygenate it? If I needed the lid to the fementer cracked open for, say, 15 minutes to accommodate this device, that would make me nervous.

5. Does the hydrogen absorb into the water at all? If so, what effect does that have?

I'd wager the better part of the formed gasses will bubble to the surface and collect there if the container is closed. Just hope you don't induce a static spark when opening. :O
Oh and your chloride salts in solution should convert first to chlorate then perchlorate. That's just one, that comes to mind, of probably many electrolysis reactions that will be happening in your wort.

I'm guessing without looking up his numbers the bubbler would be analogous to shaking. He claims 50% more oxygen with the electrolysis so I'm guessing 8ppm and 12ppm. That would be right in the ballpark of where you want to be IF it works in wort. However, without a DO meter and lots of other people trying this you would be on your own in terms of how long to let the thing run, etc.

$179? I'll pass. I just turned my fermenter into a giant stir plate and have had good results so far.

Ok, I received platinum coated titanium electrodes and put them to work in fermenting kvass. I used 850mA 9V driver, I read that low voltage 1-2V and higher amperage would work more efficiently. After keeping for one day I noticed that brew smell changed to less pleasant, taste also changed. I could sense that it become slightly bitter, more acidic and ferrous. Cathode dark matter build, I asame metals.
I kind have now doubts of continuing this and using electrodes in separate jar generate hydrogen water.

This way hydrogen gas also being produced which has anti aging and health benefits.
I have serious doubts about the 'science' of hydrogen water and any health benefits, but regardless since the ferementer isn't a closed system, the hydrogen is likely to be carried out of solution with the CO2 off gassing.

If you're looking for a cheaper way of introducing O2 into the wort, just shake the fermenter for a few minutes.

After keeping for one day I noticed that brew smell changed to less pleasant, taste also changed. I could sense that it become slightly bitter, more acidic and ferrous.

You could save it for the spring as the chlorates you formed make decent weed killers.

I seem to recall a electrolysis experiment in 8th grade.... Like 1980

It's a large beaker 1000ml
Two inverted test tubes filled with water.
One positive wire inserted in the the test tube.
One negative wire inserted in the other test tube.
One 12 volt battery.
A bath of unknown chemistry

Both test tubes fill with the appropriate gases. One oxygen one hydrogen. Can't remember which is the anode or cathode.

Looked liked this: https://goo.gl/images/6uH8bb

Seems like it would take dissolved oxygen out verses adding it... and dissolved hydrogen.

Last edited:
Was thinking of this....
generate%2Boxygen%2Band%2Bhydrogen%2Bat%2Bhome.jpeg

Was thinking of this....View attachment 607360
One of the reactions is the split of h2o into h2 and 0(2), so yes, it creates oxygen. Downside is, the reaction is not limited to splitting water molecules, but it also creates a whole bunch of other stuff which we wouldn't want in our wort. Therefore, nope, not for me!

You would need high amperage power supply. You can use those dual or four slot USB chargers supplying 5.1A. But I didn't like taste and smell kvass after electrolysis and mineral availability may decrease due to accumulation on cathode. One solution to this problem would be to separate cathode from rest of drink by using PEM membrane but can be hard to find.

Back