Oxy-san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenjammin

Reaction score
has anyone used oxy-san before? i like that it's biodegradable, non-toxic, and the residue is actually yeast nutrient...been using it for a few brews and so far its just as effective seemingly as any of the nastier chemicals...but i thought i'd see if anyone had any thoughts on the product...

haha....i didn't mix the two...i really am talking about a product called oxy-san...maybe the product itself is a mixture? i know most people swear by starsan but i've never seen it in my lhbs so i didn't know it was the same...sorry for the confusion.

this is how it's advertised:

Oxy-San is a no-rinse sanitizer for brewing equipment. It is a tasteless, odourless, eco-friendly, non toxic, biodegradable sterilizer. It is 3 times stronger than sulphite, but it contains no sulphites, soaps or phosphates.

Contains: Hydrogen peroxide, disodium salt, magnesium sulphate.

Directions: Dissolve 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon of hot water. Rinse equipment with Oxy-San solution and empty out excess. No need to rinse equipment. Residue contains brewing nutrients. Solution is non-effective after 12 hours.

Sounds like another "OneStep" type sanitizer to me.

I have been using One Step and am new to homebrewing. Is there anything bad about it or should I be using something else?

Houndog: Meh, iirc One step is pretty expensive and has a pretty long contact time, so a lot of people prefer Starsan. Which can be extensively reused and has a contact time of 30 seconds.

Welcome to the forum!

im currently using oxysan as well and i'm wondering if you can provide more info about this star san. everything i'm finding online has just been a brief description of what it does. anyone have an ingredient list, and to confirm what was mentioned before about it being biodegradable?

I use the same stuff but it's generic from my LHBS. I like it because I'm lazy.:D

My generic tub, 250 ml I think, (I'm at work and can't check). Cost me $2.66 and it's done close to 15 batches. I'm almost out and need a new one soon. I'm not sure if it's the same as OneStep but I was suprised when I heard people say OneStep was so expensive, cause this seems cheap to me.

No infections yet.

It gives you "prunehands" if you don't wear gloves.

Also Scottfro, if you mix it with RO water it keeps much longer (in a spray bottle) than if you use tap water. Not sure of the science on that but that definitely is the received wisdom around these here parts.

Rudeboy

Hey beenjammin, welcome to HBT! Who would have ever thought that homebrewing existed on the rock with such fine beers already available ha ha ha. Jokes aside, I've never heard of oxy-san, I wish they had it at the LHBS in Halifax though.

I found Oxy-san at a wine place it Montreal and it seems to be working okay. the only thing is I don't find it dissolves well unless you over dilute it. Because of this I'm contemplating dropping it.

Seems there are some undissolved particles when you mix it up but if I think some of those particles are left on any equipment I just give it a rinse. I've done 11 Brew House and Festa Brew kits now sterilizing with Oxy-san for a few minutes and not had a problem yet.

I'm using oxy san too.

You have to mix it well with the right amount of water in a bucket and then transfer it in the carboy. It always leave some residue at the bottom of the bucket, if you mix it directly in the carboy these residue will stick to the bottom.

Hey everyone -

This is many years late, but in case someone searches (as I once did) for info about oxy-san on google and comes across this, I thought I'd weigh in:

Oxy-San seems to have been developed for the Milk industry, and is a mixture of two different chemicals that break down in solution to form a 5% Peracetic Acid, 22% Hydrogen Peroxide, and 10% Acetic Acid solution.

Typically, use for homebrewing is 1tsp per 1L of water. It is a no-rinse sanitizer which is extraordinarily effective, and apparently (from the man at my LHBS) sanitizes in as little as 10 seconds. This means that the primary advantage of oxysan over star-san is that you don't need to immerse things in a tub of solution on order to sanitize them. My experience with the product bears this out: I usually rinse bottles and carboys by filling with only about 1/4cup and 4 cups (respectively) and shaking for 10-15 seconds.

I have never had any problem with sanitation, and have been using oxy-san for about a year now.

The main disadvantage is that it requires vigorous mixing to properly dissolve the crystals in to water to form the solution, and it becomes inactive as a sanitizer after aprox. 12 hours.

Hopefully this answers some of the OLD questions posted on here, and some questions people stumbling on this more recently may have had as well!

I'll continue to use OxySan until my LHBS stops carrying it.

Best,

-Tyler

Two websites about OxySan:

http://www.ecolab.com/Europe/markets_served/dairy_processing/p_p3_oxysanzs.asp

http://agrocheminc.com/content/view/13/25/

Thank you for your notes Tyler!

I just found that the juice/grapes/wine shop around the corner from my house carries OxySan and used it last night for a brew session and it worked fine. My only problem was getting it to dissolve properly but as others have mentioned, I just kept rinsing with water and everything was fine. It was my mistake as I used cold water vs. warm/hot as the directions on the package specify.

I'm very happy to have found this and am currently planning to switch permanently from StarSan to OxySan as it's about half the cost!

the primary advantage of oxysan over star-san is that you don't need to immerse things in a tub of solution on order to sanitize them

You do not need to immerse with Star San. A spray bottle works just fine and if you use distilled water to make it, it lasts indefinitely. Being able to have a spray bottle of sanitizer last for months is definitely a big plus for using Star San.

You do not need to immerse with Star San. A spray bottle works just fine and if you use distilled water to make it, it lasts indefinitely. Being able to have a spray bottle of sanitizer last for months is definitely a big plus for using Star San.

Agreed - love the ability to keep a spray bottle of sanitizer around but I'm OK with refilling it each time I bottle and/or brew if it means paying half as much for OxySan over StarSan.

Perhaps we pay much less in Canada for OxySan vs. StarSan which may be cheaper in the USA.

I love oxy-San. I have been using it for the past year. The only issue is shipping costs from Canada.

I just picked some up at my local brew store and as far as I can tell it is identical to the sanitizer you get in the MR. Beer refills. Looks, smell, amount used per gal of water etc.

FWIW, I have heard from multiple sources that peracetic acid is the de facto sanitizer for commercial breweries and is far more effective than StarSan. Granted, I've never had a problem with StarSan either, but it's still food for thought.

I'm going to have to seek some of this stuff out.

I use Oxy-San and I love the product. So far as I can gather Starsan is supposed to last up to a couple of days if kept in a sealed bottle. Hp drops to about 3.2 or so. Oxy- san has no such claim to dissipates to the point of not doing its after 12 hours

has anyone used oxy-san before? i like that it's biodegradable, non-toxic, and the residue is actually yeast nutrient...been using it for a few brews and so far its just as effective seemingly as any of the nastier chemicals...but i thought i'd see if anyone had any thoughts on the product...

Yes I use it all the time. Oxy-san is very good for sanitation but once mixed it will only last for 12 hours. I was told that Star san will last longer if kept in a sealed bottle. The Ph will go down to about 3.2. However I would not trust 3.2 ph for any sensitization I will be doing.

Latest posts

Back