Oversized O-rings or new keg lids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnecessary

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been reading a bit on this topic and found several references that new keg lids tend to seal up well with old kegs.

I've got a couple corny's (Firestone VI's) that I can't get a good seal, even with brand new O-rings. That leaves me looking at $5 oversized gaskets or buying new lids. I don't mind spending $16 or whatever for new lids, but was hoping for some folks with experience on the subject to chime in.

Anyone just bought new lids when they couldn't get a seal with the original lid, with new O-ring, and found success? I lean to the new lids to also get a fresh PRV in the process and hopefully have a lid that in the future only needs standard o-rings to freshen up.

make sure the lip on the keg isn't dented. I've gotten a few kegs that were not true. Also, keg lube is your friend.

make sure the lip on the keg isn't dented. I've gotten a few kegs that were not true. Also, keg lube is your friend.
Thanks, yeah, ran my finger around the lip and it felt OK. I tried 3 different lids though (using a fresh oring), so thinking it could need the oversized ring.

Most sources for used kegs toss in a new O-ring pack.

Most sources for used kegs toss in a new O-ring pack.

Really? I must be doing something wrong, because I have bought used kegs from half a dozen sources, and none of them came with a set of new O-Rings.

Really? I must be doing something wrong, because I have bought used kegs from half a dozen sources, and none of them came with a set of new O-Rings.
These were a gift from a friend, I'm refurbing them. No idea bout buying used kegs.

I have new o-rings (standard size), they don't seal, that's why I was asking about new lids or the oversized o-rings. I was hoping someone had experience. I think I'll just get a couple new lids anyway to replace the plastic lids on some I borrowed from another buddy as a thank you, if they work, I'll get more for my "new to me" kegs.

I'd just hoped someone had faced a similar situation and might advise on their experience.

I always toss the standard black lid orings and use the softer, oversized white silicone ones. They are cheap on Amazon and usually come with a set of inner and outer orings for the posts.

I also use keg gel on all orings and haven't had a problem with getting a good seal.

How are you going about seating the lid on the keg? IIRC, it was posted some time ago about using CO2 to actually fully seat the lid before clamping it closed. Basically, you hold the lid in position and then connect CO2 to the keg (10psi is a good starting point for gas feed). You can shift the lid a bit as it's gaining in pressure. Once sealed, the keg will reach pressure and be fully sealed. IME, it makes sealing kegs easier than trying to close them up without any pressure inside.

If the lids are without dings/flaws, and you're using a new o-ring on it, try the above. If you've been using that method, then there's something else going on. Perhaps one of the keg posts is the source of the leak.

How are you going about seating the lid on the keg? IIRC, it was posted some time ago about using CO2 to actually fully seat the lid before clamping it closed. Basically, you hold the lid in position and then connect CO2 to the keg (10psi is a good starting point for gas feed). You can shift the lid a bit as it's gaining in pressure. Once sealed, the keg will reach pressure and be fully sealed. IME, it makes sealing kegs easier than trying to close them up without any pressure inside.

If the lids are without dings/flaws, and you're using a new o-ring on it, try the above. If you've been using that method, then there's something else going on. Perhaps one of the keg posts is the source of the leak.
Good info! Actually, when cleaning my kegs with PBW, I've been turning them upside down to soak for part of the cleaning process. This is the first one that hasn't had liquid tight seal when doing so, so I panicked. It very well may seal with pressure added, I hadn't tried.

Good info! Actually, when cleaning my kegs with PBW, I've been turning them upside down to soak for part of the cleaning process. This is the first one that hasn't had liquid tight seal when doing so, so I panicked. It very well may seal with pressure added, I hadn't tried.
I'm using the bucket blaster to clean out my kegs. Which has them upside down with hot PBW flowing all over the inside. Does a great job and is far easier on me. Even runs solution through the posts (ball lock on all of my kegs).

I have four kegs I need to clean at some point. Didn't do them yet since I injured my back a couple of weekends ago and have been taking it easy.

I have 15ish kegs from a few different sellers. All came with a full set of new O-rings. But their listing specifically stated that. I suppose some don't and are maybe a couple bucks cheaper but then you gotta go buy the rings anyway.

I even bought one "Refurbished" keg from one of the current vendors that still smelled like Rootbeer.
The keg, not just the "O" rings!
I called them out on it. I asked how they claim it as refurbished without at least a good cleaning much less new rings.
I don't do business with them any longer.

Someone should probably mention... silicone is one of the most permeable (to gases) of rubber-like materials. It's used in things like blood oxygenation membranes, where that property is advantageous. For beer storage and serving, it's really not the best choice.

I have some of each. I’ve always used the rubber ones but there are four of the silicone lid o-rings in my stash. I think they were in some used kegs I bought, years ago, and I just tossed them in the drawer with the rest of my collection. FWIW, both measure .272”.

Unless the keg is leaking, I wouldn't mess with oversize lid orings, because of cost. If it is leaking because it's slightly bent then an oversize o-ring might do the trick. Sources and part numbers for all keg orings and more... Bulk Keg Orings and Keg Parts Reference

Back