Overshot Gravity, More Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rothman

Reaction score
I over shot my gravity on an IPA this afternoon. I was shooting for 1.064 but ended up with about 4.5 gallons and my gravity was 1.084. I pitched a single pack of US-05. I've got a pack of notty in reserve and I'm thinking about adding it. I want this beer to finish somewhere in the 1.018-1.020 range. What would you do?

You could add a gallon of water to bring the gravity down to 1.069, or just leave it be. The US-05 should be able to get though the batch no problem.

I'd add water. 5 qts. will take it to 1.066. I hate ending with a high FG (unless I was shooting for that).

Additionally, if you hopped it for a smaller beer then it will come out sweet.

If you don't have room to add it now, add it at bottling time with your priming sugar. Just mix well.

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. My OG was very close to yours but i made a starter for about 1.076 gravity. After one week the gravity was at 1.033-i checked it a week later and it was 1.031. I declared this my first stuck fermentation. I had a vial of WLP001 that was a few weeks from expired so i threw it in hoping it would finish it out. this has been very stressful.

Back