Overflow During Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcpal

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on here so be kind.

I am brewing my first homebrew (a weizenbock) and was stoked to see the fermentation working and I am about 5 days in and now I went down late last night and saw it right to the top of the carboy and the foam coming right up and threw the stopper and the fermentation lock. Im pretty concerned that I screwed this thing up but not sure if there is something that I can still do or if I should just take the wait and see approach.

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated?
Thanks a lot.

Get your camera :D

Seriously, if it's still going search "blow off" It's a piece of tubing inserted into the carboy hole or on the top of an airlock. the other end of the tubing is placed in water/sanitizer.

Welcome:mug:

You need a 1" ID 1&1/4" OD hose from your local harware. Use about four feet of this to allow the bow off out and into a container. Are you using a 5 gallon carboy for 5 gallon batches?

here's a thread with a couple of pictures of a blow off rigged to the carboy/bucket

Just to re-iterate what others have said; what you're seeing is perfectly normal, and it's why lots of people use blow off tubes instead of the little fermentation locks during primary fermentation...

I've actually seen a couple batches, using a blow off tube, where the krausen (that's the foam you're seeing) made it all the way through 4 feet of blow-off tube and overflowed into the bleach water bucket we were using. It's actually a very good sign that the yeast are doing exactly what you want them to do!

As a follow up to this, with what I have now and to not infect, am I better off just letting it go as is and just deal with the foam over (ie.. it won't affect the quality of the beer)?

Thanks for the feedback.

Won't affect the quality of the beer at all. What you are seeing is great...a nice vigorous fermentation. Your yeast are having a grand ole time. I would just let it ride for now....should probably simmer back down shortly. Get a blow off tube for future brews.

Though it can't hurt, once the krausen calms down a little, to re-sanitize the lock and refill it with sanitizer/vodka/whatever... That'll help to ensure that the lock stays a one way system for any and all gasses.

though it can't hurt, once the krausen calms down a little, to re-sanitize the lock and refill it with sanitizer/vodka/whatever... That'll help to ensure that the lock stays a one way system for any and all gasses.

+1

One thing to mention i had that happen the first time a brewed with out a blow off tube and you want to make sure you dont let it get too gummed up because if you do it could clog the pores on the airlock and then you will have a blow out! I have not had this happen but a friend who has brewed for years mentioned he has had the airlocks before get blown across the room due to it getting clogged.. So i took mine off a couple times and cleaned it and replaced it.. now i always use a blow off tube the first few days until it settles down.. Oh and i love watching the yeast dancing in the bottle its just like watching it snow.. but tastes better..

Back