Overcarbing Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
Brother and Sister Brewers...

About 1.5 years ago, I brewed up a batch of Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter. This was my second time making this. After mixing the 5 ounces of corn sugar with the fermented beer, I soon had the batch bottled. And I soon started having bottle bombs galore! Finally, I very carefully took the remaining bottles outdoors, aimed the bottle at my fence and gingerly popped the cap. The overcarbed contents caused the caps to fly well over 20 feet, and smack the fence soundly.

About eight months ago, I brewed up a batch of Caribou Slobber, also from Northern. Again, after mixing 5 ounces of corn sugar with the "green" beer, I soon had it in the bottles. And I have had a few "bottle bombs" and very extreme "gushers" with every bottle I open.

Then, I discovered Northern's "Priming Sugar Calculator," and began to prime my batches with table sugar at the weight suggested. For the Porter, the calculator suggests just a bit over THREE OUNCES of sugar, not five ounces. The calculator suggests slightly under FOUR OUNCES of sugar for the Caribou Slobber, rather than five ounces.

About three months ago, I brewed up a "Big Honkin' Stout," again from Northern. At bottling, I used the suggested 3.19 ounces of sucrose/table sugar. No gushers. No bottle bombs. Simply a pleasantly carbonated beer.

I think I've found the reason for my "bottle bombs" and "gushers." In the future, I will use the suggested amount of sugar from the calculator, and not simply throw in five ounces.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

glenn514:mug:

Surprising how that works.

Usually kits include 5 oz of sugar. This work great for beginning brewers because they are impatient and drink up the brew before the carb level gets put of hand. It carbs up fast and does not get over carbed before they are done.

Thank you, beergolf! You've explained to me why my first batch of "Bourbon Barrel Porter" did NOT produce "bottle bombs," while the second batch did. I was much more patient with the second batch...and BOOM!

So, maybe using the carbonation calculator ought to be stressed for all brewers?

glenn514:mug:

So, maybe using the carbonation calculator ought to be stressed for all brewers?

Definitely. Also quite often new brewers end up with even less than 5 gallons of final beer due to not taking into account trub loss and racking early before the trub really settles out. So often they end up with 4-4 1/2 gallons.

Back