Overbuilding Brett starter to save bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer dad

Reaction score
I have some WY5526(Brett lambicus) that I am going to make starter with per the modern fast and funky methods, link to that thread below. If I overbuild the starter, can I retain a portion to keep and build again just like Sach?

My suspicion is yes assuming proper methods, sanitization etc. Other than cross contamination the other potential issue I see is THP. Ive ran a number of searches and not found much on hbt on it. Found some Reddit threads but was hoping from some feedback from here. It's $13/pack so would like to save some if possible. Have also considered saving the yeast cake and/or oak cubes that I'll be adding. However since I'm copitching sach(wlp001) and later lacto would like to have some without(hopefully) any other yeast.

Thanks!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/

I have some WY5526(Brett lambicus) that I am going to make starter with per the modern fast and funky methods, link to that thread below. If I overbuild the starter, can I retain a portion to keep and build again just like Sach?

My suspicion is yes assuming proper methods, sanitization etc. Other than cross contamination the other potential issue I see is THP. Ive ran a number of searches and not found much on hbt on it. Found some Reddit threads but was hoping from some feedback from here. It's $13/pack so would like to save some if possible. Have also considered saving the yeast cake and/or oak cubes that I'll be adding. However since I'm copitching sach(wlp001) and later lacto would like to have some without(hopefully) any other yeast.

Thanks!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/
Yes you can.

For anything funky or sour, your best source of information will come from Milk The Funk Wiki

Thanks man was hoping you'd chime in lol. I've been reading mtf, it's definitely a great source of info particularly the why part to many questions. For where I am at though at times it's definitely over my head.

So game plan for this then is to make maybe a 1L starter for 3-5 days, pitch 500ml then keep the rest in the fridge. Then repeat as needed.

So game plan for this then is to make maybe a 1L starter for 3-5 days, pitch 500ml then keep the rest in the fridge. Then repeat as needed.
From my experience you need a 5+ day starter fermentation. Anytime I’ve done one it’s taken at least 5 days to reach a typically fg. It’s my understanding that the cell count for WYEAST Brett strains is less than that of Their sach strains. Since you’re trying to use the starter propagate enough cells for a quicker/heathy fermentation and also have enough cells to save you may have to up your starter size and expect an extended timeframe on the starter.

Gotcha. I'll bump up the starter size and give it a week then. I'm also adding 2ml gluco in addition to wlp001, so hopefully with a 1.050 SG shouldn't have too much trouble getting it down. If it needs some extra time no big deal.

Thanks

Agreed, I normally do 7 days, sometimes longer for starter. I also do a larger starter than normal and keep the extra for later in a 1liter mason \ ball jar. No cold crash and decant on these either, you keep it all or pitch it all.
If it is all Brett, then keep it room temp. If it is mixed blend then after a couple of weeks I will put it in the fridge.

Also as mentioned before, milk the funk wiki!

It is interesting how they say Brett for the short term should be stored at room temp. When I got this though I put it in the fridge. Probably will tack on another day or two for that.

Back