Overactive Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bken620

Reaction score
So I know you're all going to yell at me for this but I pitched my yeast at around 90 F, we ran out of ice and couldn't cool it any further (plus I'm impatient). I had created two starters because this was my first 10 gallon brew, first brew in over 2 years and first true all grain

I ended up with about 10.5 gallons of wort, split it between two buckets, pitched the yeast and then put it in my fermentation chamber. I checked later that night and saw vigorous air lock activity, this was last Wednesday, I then checked it the next day, same thing, then checked it Sunday and this is what I saw:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467770318.344005.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467770339.907782.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1467770353.641630.jpg

The bucket on the left hand significantly more Krause/yeast than the other one but nothing had spilled over the sides. This all came out of the air lock. I didn't get a chance to clean it until today, so it had been sitting longer than two days.

Is there anything I should worry about in terms of lack of yeast or even infection? Or even anything else?

It won't have a lack of yeast, or be infected by the blow off. The only problem is the fermentation temperature- likely it was a pretty hot fermentation and that can create some off flavors.

next time, cool it to just below fermentation temperature in your fermentation and then add your yeast instead of adding it at 90 degrees. It is much easier to cool wort before the yeast is pitched than after.

It won't have a lack of yeast, or be infected by the blow off. The only problem is the fermentation temperature- likely it was a pretty hot fermentation and that can create some off flavors.

next time, cool it to just below fermentation temperature in your fermentation and then add your yeast instead of adding it at 90 degrees. It is much easier to cool wort before the yeast is pitched than after.

When I checked it about three hours later, it was down to 70, which is where I wanted it to be. We'll see about the off flavors...it's a Honey Heff, so we'll see where it ends up.

Thanks for the response.

If your sanitation is good (and it should be anyway) wait until the wort is cooled in your fermentation chamber. You could wait until the next day if needed. I've done a no-chill that sat for 36 hours before it cooled enough to pitch yeast and it worked out fine.

If your sanitation is good (and it should be anyway) wait until the wort is cooled in your fermentation chamber. You could wait until the next day if needed. I've done a no-chill that sat for 36 hours before it cooled enough to pitch yeast and it worked out fine.

Yes, I'm a big stickler about even washing my hands in star san before I touch anything that might come into contact with the beer.

Back