over two week fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbean

Reaction score
I know my beer will be OK, I'm just looking for a bit of education and context. Did beermunchers Newcastle clone. Messed up my volume (nearly filled my 3 gal carboy to the brim) and pitching (could only get about 3/4 of wyeast pack in) but everything got off to a great start. But I had solid fermentation in the primary for over 10 days transfereed to secondary and still getting some action. I hit my OG, but the temps were a couple of degrees lower 64-66. I'm sure this happens a lot and am keen to hear any insights the collective might have.

Thanks

Think of an airlock as it's supposed to be thought of, as a VENT a VALVE to release gas, NOT as a fermentation gauge. All that more than likely happened is gas that has been present ALL THE TIME in solution got released, either from it being trapped in the yeast at the bottom of the vessel, because of some physical shaking of the vessel or the room it is being stored in, or the change in barometric pressure putting pressure on the liquid in the vessel or a rise in ambient temp causing the co2 to expand beyond the layer that was in the headspace. Or opening the fermenter to take a gravity reading....

Or because they moved the fermenter.

Airlocks bubble for many reasons Barometric changes/Temp changes/ A truck rumbling by on the street/The cat brushing against it/Vacuum Cleaner....Bubbling of an airlock, especially if it's been idle for awhile, is usually a product of changes in the environment, rather than anything else.

That's what so many brewers into trouble, they keep thinking an airlock is a fermentation gauge, that any time it acts up or doesn't act up they think fermentation is or isn't occurring. If you think of it as it's REAL purpose, as a release valve to keep the beer off the ceiling, then you realize that you dealing with gas which is fluid in it's own right, it expands, contracts, and comes out of solutions form many reasons beyond JUST fermenting....

It's offgassing because you racked it to secondary and kicked up co2, that's NOT the same thing as fermenting.

To summarize, you may have activity in the air lock, but that is not necessarily a result or indicator of fermentation activity.

Take a couple of SG readings a couple of days apart. If they are the consistent, fermentation is complete.

Thanks guys that is likely what its going on with the secondaries. However with the primary I was using bubbling within the beer itself and that was quiet vigorous. Did not know about atmosphere changes though, that is pretty interesting.

Back