Outdoor Bar build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysim

Reaction score
Starting my outdoor kitchen build earlier this summer. The bar and the deck are the DIY parts. Pergola, concrete and hot tub by others.

The bar is made out of 18 ga metal studs with exterior cement board and a stove veneer. It will have concrete counter tops. Included appliances are a fridge, 3 tap kegerator, and built in grill.

deck 1.jpg

precon1.jpg

precon2.jpg

con1.jpg

con2.jpg

con3.jpg

con 4.jpg

con5.jpg

con6.jpg

perg 1.jpg

Looks great! Just make sure you use a galvanized primer on all the cut ends of the steel studs along with on on all the screw and screw holes to deter rusting, that's a common mistake a lot of people make when using steel studs outdoors. The stud itself will hold up but you'll find it rusting away from the cut edges and screw holes.

Great work!!

232295d1414530289-outdoor-bar-build-con-4.jpg

Looks like your dog doesn't think much of the project. Isn't he hiking his leg on the concrete form? :D

232295d1414530289-outdoor-bar-build-con-4.jpg

Looks like your dog doesn't think much of the project. Isn't he hiking his leg on the concrete form? :D

He's helping, don't you know that you have to keep fresh cement moist to make it dry slower to avoid cracks?

Fantastic. The metal studs with concrete backer board and stone veneer is exactly what I want to do for mine if I ever find the time to do it. It looks great so far! I can't wait to see this progress!

That is awesome! When you're done you can drive 20 minutes to me and help me with my new deck.

I did prime the cut edges of the track. I also put down a bead of silicon under the cement board to prevent water penetration. The specs for the stone veneer also call for the cement board to be coated with a water barrier.

What are you using on the cement boards for a water barrier?

Yeah it makes you wonder about those backyard overhaul shows where they do it in a weekend. You know they aren't putting down sealants and waiting for proper cute before moving on.

The red waterproofing material I used has a 72 hour cure time. The concrete has cure times.....etc

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What made you go with the metal framing versus wood? Do you plan on grinding the concrete down to show the aggregate?

I only ask, we built my parents deck in a similar fashion but did use wood. It's sturdy as can be (mostly due to my father being a structural engineer).

The plain concrete looked decent but after grinding down to show the agg, it looks much better. I need to get some final pics of it and post it up here hmm.

Good luck, looking great! Your pug looks pretty old with the grey hair on the face haha

The counter top just has sand as the aggregate so there won't be a lot to expose. I sanded and sealed it. I went with metal because I saw metal kits you can buy for outdoor kitchens and I wanted to avoid the warping of wood. I'm just about finished. I don't have my bar stools yet and the landscaping is not finished. We broke it in while watching football on Sunday.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417436499.978875.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417436522.724582.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417436537.940047.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417436562.359684.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417436582.199600.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417436601.362705.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417436623.092012.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do you take the TV in or is it rated for outdoors and you cover it? Also, are those outdoor rated appliances as well? Being that you don't have a roof over all those and the rain will get to them.

Awesome build! I like the concrete counter tops and the way you set things up.

What are you using to form the bull nose on the concrete counter tops?

I bring the TV indoors. I did see a cover online you can use so you can keep it outside.

The appliances are outdoor rated.

Back