Kegging noob needs clarification on some things for a coming kegerator build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been brewing for a bit over a year, by no means an expert but I think I can say I know what I am doing at least by now. I am though getting tired vof bottling, and plan to make the jump to kegging.
Mostly intend for British style house ales to be kegged, stronger beers will still be bottled.

Anyways, I have started planning for a 4 tap kegerator to be built form our old kitchen fridge, and have some questions to clarify a few things.
Will use 18 and 12L kegs, I have some good condition used ones I will buy, gonna buy 3-4 of each right away since I am most likely gonna want some spares to condition beers to be put in the fridge once one keg is empty.
My thought is to use reinforced pvc tubes and hose tighteners for the gas, and PE tubes and John Guest connectors for the beer lines.

I Will prime the kegs and condition for a few weeks, use a bottle priming calculator and prime to 1.6 vol co2 then put them in the fridge kept at 11c and hook up gas once the keg is chilled and let it sit for a few days before starting to pour. 0.5 bar or just below serving pressure is what I should aim for,correct? This to get a little faux cask feel.

I have been looking at using 3/16 tubing mainly, apart from small bits of 3/8 at the tap and keg post, 2 meters should be a good lenght if I have understood correctly?

And the layout of the kegerator itself: My though is to rip out the interior shelves and build a plywood shelf, to keep the kegs kinda in the middle of the fridge (fridge is about 155cm tall) and then drill the holes for the taps about 10cm above where the top of the keg will be, to minimise rise. Am I thinking correctly here?
And then use an UT-300 thermostat with the probe in the fridge to control the temp inside, I plan on using 2 computer chassi fans to get some airflow and even temperature on the inside, doing this, can I let the temp sensor hang freely in the fridge or should I tape it to a small glas of water or the like?
I have been reading and doing some homework, but these things I wanted some input on. Thankful for any advice.
Cheers and brew on!

But honestly I just use the fridge thermostat it’s a kegerator not a fermentation chamber though.

Or keezer. Then you would need a temp controller
That sounds like a good idea, the fridge I intend to use is old and the built in thermostat is unreliable but otherwise it works just fine, therefore the external thermostat.
I guess taping the probe to a keg should work, and when I put in a new one i could just let it sit a couple days and assume the same temp as the others.

My thought is to use reinforced pvc tubes and hose tighteners for the gas, and PE tubes and John Guest connectors for the beer lines.

Being able to use JG fittings for the beer line would be convenient, but you may find using stiff PE line not worth the tradeoff. Is the PE line you were thinking of using lined (intended for beer line use)?

I Will prime the kegs and condition for a few weeks, use a bottle priming calculator and prime to 1.6 vol co2 then put them in the fridge kept at 11c and hook up gas once the keg is chilled and let it sit for a few days before starting to pour. 0.5 bar or just below serving pressure is what I should aim for,correct? This to get a little faux cask feel.

You can certainly prime your keg that way instead of force carbing with your CO2, but know that the amount is not a 1 to 1 from the chart for carbing bottles. I'm sure you can find a chart here somewhere for bulk conditioning.

can I let the temp sensor hang freely in the fridge or should I tape it to a small glass of water or the like?

Using a glass of water as a thermal dampener, or taping it to a keg like gil suggested will give you a steadier temp curve if you plan to open the door often for some reason, but you will probably find the open air approach will be more than adequate with a lot less hassle.

Back