Newbie and home bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattgintx

Reaction score
I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right spot.

Anyways I’m In The process of building an outdoor bar that will be used a couple times a year for large gatherings. We have recently put a pool/spa/fire pit/outdoor kitchen etc to create the atmosphere for a couple huge parties a year. The expense has been outrageous and I’d like to save a few Penny’s if I can.

I love the idea of having a couple beer taps but with the research I’ve done putting kegerators seems impractical for the few times a year I’ll use the bar.

My idea is instead of using kegerators is to put a few permanent beer taps in the counter top and use some rolling trash cans filled with ice stored under the bar for pony kegs. Is this something that’s doable?

What equipment would I be looking at? Any pitfalls I need to avoid?

I love to drink beer but usually just buy bottles and can’t remember the last time I used a keg. Any insight would be really appreciated and helpful

Right now I would just buy the kegs as I’ve never home brewed although I do have interest in that. If I did start to home brew I’d probably have a totally different setup in my house.

A few thoughts:
  • There are draft engineers whose job it is to set up tap systems. Cost would be an issue, but you could get a quote for their services and decide. DIY is certainly an option, and people on these forums can help, but you'll need to pick up some expertise along the way.
  • Can't beat a trash can full of ice for cost, but this product, which is essentially a jockey box that plugs into already installed faucets, is designed for your exact purpose. I had a good experience buying from this company. Their kits would work for you.
  • You'll want a CO2 tank to push the beer through the faucets. This will make the faucets run smoothly (you don't want to work a keg pump every few times you need a beer) and avoid oxidizing your beer if you plan on keeping it on tap for longer than an evening.
  • After you use your taps, you must clean out the beer lines and faucets. You'll want to have a plan for doing that.

Can't beat a trash can full of ice for cost, but this product, which is essentially a jockey box that plugs into already installed faucets, is designed for your exact purpose.
You'll still need to keep your kegs cold with the jockey boxes. This way you won't have to bump up your pressure to keep it from foaming. I learned this the hard way at my wedding.

That jumper box looks like a really great solution. I was hoping to spend less but it looks plug and play with the options to order the additional necessary items

Thank you so much for the information!

Back