Out of the ordinary 2nd year growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob

Reaction score
433566139.jpeg
Mt Hood
794202029.jpeg
Hallertau
681040821.jpeg

Purchased both of these last year as plants, and got about 2oz from the Hallertau at the end of September, and zilch from the Mt Hood, it actually looked like the runty sibling of the two. Planted them in pure triple-mix last year and this year added 3 inches of composted manure to the top of each planter.

It's not even July and I'm thinking these things aren't going to stop growing anytime soon. Theyre at 18 feet and climbing 4-6 inches a day. should I start lowering the twine so they keep growing, or is it better to let them top out?

Neither are big producers (compared to Chinook, Cascade) so I'd just let them grow. As long as you don't have more than about 3-4 vines per rope you shouldn't have that hard of a time picking them. It may help to feather the tops of the strings out a little further as the growing tips may decide to climb over to the next string. Other than that I'd say you're golden!

also now that they are started "feathering" moving them furhter apart at the tops is a way to get more room if u move them far enough along that eve you could feasably get anothe 4-5' of growth

When I say as plants I meant seedlings (they were in 2" pots with about 2" of growth), so I was shocked to get any harvest at all.

I don't expect an issue with picking because the twine is not tied at the eaves, there's eye hooks and the twine runs back down to a hanging piece of 2x4 so come harvest time I can raise the 2x4 upwards or simply untie the twine.

Guess my major concern was that they're so tall already, I thought typical harvest time was in late august/early september, from the looks of these there will be ready for harvest well before that time.

Back