2nd year rhizome growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Last year I snagged 2 rhizomes from my LHBS.
The top is cascade bottom is centennial.
The 1st year the cascade grew a runner up the rope, the centennial never sprouted.
This year I have seen no activity. Of course upstate NY has been cold 50's and wet.
I got nervous because everything else the yard is sprouting
So I dug them up and replanted, I made sure that it was covered in my sandy soil and not too much leafy compost!
The cascade is very moist and has a small white shoot.
Centennial is much dryer and has more sign of growth.
Is this normal growth for 2nd year in the ground?
Am I simply being impatient ?
I did not expect hops this year, just growth?
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463440635.581936.jpg

Since I just had another spot open in the yard I was going to order 2 or 3 more rhizomes,
Is it too late to plant this year?

Both appear to have growth. Not sure why centennial didn't grow at all but it looks like it will this year.

odd. im in idaho, so different soil, but you should see A LOT more than that. My hops sprouted over a month ago, when it was still dipping down to the low 30s at night. They both look like rhizomes still. Those root balls should be 3 times larger than it is. Or bigger. Second year is when they really take off. In my cascades first year, i got mabe 1/2 lb of hops. In its second year, i got 4 pounds off of it. Mabe find a new place to plant them, the soil might be contaminated where you planted them the first time. Mabe some gas or oil was spilled there years ago.
A hop is basically a weed, and just go crazy. The lack of root development over the last year points to a major problem. The only thing i can think of is to re plant in a new location.

My 3rd year cascade is 18-20 feet up the trellis already. I also started 3 new rhizomes, chinook, centenial, and northern. They are all 3-4 feet up the trellis, and i planted late april. Our weather is still mid 40s at night and mid 70s in the day.

Thanks for info
Right now it is in sandy soil, but that is my soil.
I have raspberries/grapes growing in the same soil.
I try to mix in some compost.

Maybe I will pull the out buy some decent soil & fertilizer and replant.
Maybe add some bonemeal!
Checked them when I got home and they are dry. I will try watering

Thanks for info
Right now it is in sandy soil, but that is my soil.
I have raspberries/grapes growing in the same soil.
I try to mix in some compost.

Maybe I will pull the out buy some decent soil & fertilizer and replant.
Maybe add some bonemeal!
Checked them when I got home and they are dry. I will try watering

i would recommend bagged soil as well. How deep are you planting them? that can make a big difference. 2-3 inches is more than enough. I could see problems if you are going 9-12 inches or something. Dont worry, They will come around :mug:

i would recommend bagged soil as well. How deep are you planting them? that can make a big difference. 2-3 inches is more than enough. I could see problems if you are going 9-12 inches or something. Dont worry, They will come around :mug:

They were only buried 2-3 inches

Back