Out of curiosity, what is your ratio of batches to years brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many brews do you do on average per year?

• 1-10 times per year

• 11-25 times per year

• 26-50 times per year

• 51-75 times per year

• +75 times per year

Results are only viewable after voting.
alright, whos the bonehead who clicked +75?
that one was supposed to be a joke

fwiw, it seems two sets of goal posts have emerged in this thread.
So the participants may be using different metrics.

"Ratio of batches to years brewing"
"How many brews do you do on average per year?"
"xx times Per year"

I almost always brew two different recipes on a given brew day.
Indeed, in 2015 every brew day held two different batches/
Hence, "20 times" = "40 batches = a "ratio" of 40...

Cheers!

i brew 5 gallons batches and drin a pint about every day and I brew 5-6 times a year. How come some of you brew like 20 times ? Does your wife or older kids drink your beer ? Do you drink like 3 beers a day ?

i brew 5 gallons batches and drin a pint about every day and I brew 5-6 times a year. How come some of you brew like 20 times ? Does your wife or older kids drink your beer ? Do you drink like 3 beers a day ?

The latter, here.

1 year on Christmas Day. 13 batches. Can't answer your poll on mobile.

I drink a beer every other day, and on a weekend I may drink anywhere from 6-12 beers. I also have a brother in law who pretty much matches me beer for beer. If I lived on my own I would probably brew smaller batches and just as often as I love to brew probably more than I love to drink my homebrews.

I brew weekly at least, but I brew with a friend, we brew 10 gallon batches, and each take 5. Each of us live in separate houses with 5 or 6 other roommates of drinking age. And if we have too much, we bring a keg to the brew club or have a dinner party or something. Usually we have no problems getting it consumed. Also, many days i drink more than a pint.

Once a month I brew 20 gallons in 3 batches (10 + 5 + 5) ... is that 12, 36 or 48 brews per year?

Is there a problem here?

fwiw, my daily intake is a solid 48 ounces. First pour is usually a wheat around 6 when I knock off design work, second pour will be a hoppy pale or an ipa 30 minutes later, around 10 or so the third pour will be an esb, dark, or trappist, and around midnite I'll drop the hammer with a double imperial chocolate stout. Saturday and Sunday there's an extra pint 'cuz I can start earlier ;)

The spousal unit contributes a few pints over the week, if either of my sons come by they'll account for a pint or two and refill a growler to take home, and on average random friends will pull a gallon over a week.

It adds up to roughly four gallons a week. Twenty brew days times two five gallon batches works out perfectly, and fortunately the powers that be usually allow that to happen...

Cheers!

First 6 months made 50 gal. First full year made 100 gal. On pace for 120 gallons this year + 20 gallons hard cider.

Drinkin' a Mad Elf clone now. Can't quite figgure out the ratio. Christmas(Merry Christmas everyone) will be three years. 2 batches with Mr Beer kit I got for Christmas, 2 mores batchesBAIB and jumped into AG for the next 97. It's Friday. You do the math. Cheers.

I drank a 32oz growler of ten-fiddy stout the other night - and that's like 10.5%...

Drinkin' a Mad Elf clone now. Can't quite figgure out the ratio. Christmas(Merry Christmas everyone) will be three years. 2 batches with Mr Beer kit I got for Christmas, 2 mores batchesBAIB and jumped into AG for the next 97. It's Friday. You do the math. Cheers.

sounds like 30 ish batches a year to me

It helps to make A LOT of friends. SWMBO and all my extended family and a bunch of their friends enjoy mine.

Christmas is rough on my supply, first off just being around family means I need to drink very heavily to not call them idiots since it's an election year, also giving away 6 packs to assorted beer drinkers in my family will kill quite a few bottles. Add to that competitions at least two bottles a pop per entry per comp. Then "test" beers throughout the entire process to learn best when my beers peak and when they're most ready to drink and enter into comps.

I go in cycles of 3 weekends in a row brewing. Usually a small 5% or less beer, a medium beer in the 5-7% range, then lay in a big beer on the third week of the cycle. Brew small, ferment, transfer, bottle/brew, ferment, transfer, leave medium beer in secondary and brew big beer, leave big beer in primary till I'm ready to bottle medium beer. Take two or three weekends off from brewing to focus on cellaring duties, usually medium beer and small beer are both ready to drink at this point and the big beer I've bottled and squirreled away.

There's no right or wrong amount to brew. I am in a good groove lately and my last 7 batches this year have been hits (one placed second at a competition in Madison). I want to keep brewing at a high capacity since I hate brewing in dead winter in Wisconsin, January-February are awful to brew in, March through December I'll manage 12-20 batches.

If I brewed purely for personal consumption, I wouldn't get very far past 10 batches.

Also beer is delicious.

Proper multi-level regression mapping techniques probably require us to answer with all factors so the single number response isn't picked up by the rabid media web bots and misconstrued without taking account of batch size, number of friends, batch dump ratio, gifting ratio, leaky spigot conundrum, thirsty dog relation, relations that are dogs, amount sent for judging, and that sort of thing.

Oh, and my answer is: about 12, 5G, ~0.3, 1/34, 58%, 0, 0, >1, 0

if I didnt have a full-time job during the week that would likely be the case. But then I'd probably run into a funding issue

Funding is definitely a big issue lol I'm on medical leave right now, and brewing every week or every other week is about all I can handle, financially and physically haha if I was rich I would rig up a system to help with the lifting, and spend my days brewing. I'd make a lot of friends lol because I would bottleneck at the consumption part of the brewing and need help. Either that or my liver would give out within 3 months.

First year in and I've got 16 brews (13 AG) under my belt. I plan to brew around the same amount of batches this coming year, but more 10 gal batches.

Funding is definitely a big issue lol I'm on medical leave right now, and brewing every week or every other week is about all I can handle, financially and physically haha if I was rich I would rig up a system to help with the lifting, and spend my days brewing. I'd make a lot of friends lol because I would bottleneck at the consumption part of the brewing and need help. Either that or my liver would give out within 3 months.

Thats where Im at. So, confession - Im the bonehead that clicked the +75 button. Definitely bottlenecks at the consumption end of things. Made LOTs of friends though.

at the moment 7 batches per year on average, been brewing 3 years, but try to brew at least monthly...
recently has been maybe closer to every two weeks... I took a break for a while when I moved around to a few different houses.

Up until recently I was brewing about once every 5-6 weeks. At the time I only had a single tap kegerator but I have since moved to a 4 tap and have more keg space. As a result I have brewed 4 times in the last 6 weeks.

Yay, someone else clicked the same answer! Now I dont feel so alone...

Back