Out of curiosity, what is your ratio of batches to years brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many brews do you do on average per year?

• 1-10 times per year

• 11-25 times per year

• 26-50 times per year

• 51-75 times per year

• +75 times per year

Results are only viewable after voting.
Been brewing for 2 months less than 3 years, 91 recipes. By the time I hit 3 full years, it will be 101 recipes brewed.

Average of slightly over 33 per year.

i brew 10 gallons a month average. and around 3 gallons of cider average

Not sure. I've never kept track of how many batches I've done. 18yrs and I would guess an average of 12/yr. There's times I haven't brewed for a while then there's times when I brewed every week for months.

20.32025 batches/year, as of today.

FWIW, I like the wording if the question.

Just a month shy of 6 years.. 232 batches... 38.6666

Oh my damn. That is impressive.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you in double digit territory, how do you do it? I would love to brew more, but my space is pretty much at capacity with 5 fermenters going at a time.

58 (10 gallon) batches / 4.5 years

If i was a bachelor, and didn't travel so much, it'd probably be 2-3x.

116 batches (6.5 gallon batches) in 6 years since I started back up after quitting for 7 years.

= 19+ batches per year.

Looks like there are a lot of alcoholics... err... alcohol enthusiasts here.

Brewing for a year and a half. Averages out to 7.33 batches per year.

15 but it was an estimation. I think I'm about at 4 years brewing and 60+ or so batches.

My estimate would be pretty close to 20. I usually brew twice a month, but that doesn't always work out.

30 a year average. Highly misleading as I did over 100 batches in my first 16 months of brewing. Yeah, sort of caught the bug. Now I brew about every 3-4 weeks, a little more than once a month.

I tried adding a poll in the OP, but when I checked the box, nothing came up to create the various options and stuff. Maybe it was something with my adblock...

looks like @sudbuddy has got the lead to far at ~62, I do think it would be neat to see how the distribution is around here. Im surprised at some very active members that havent brewed too many batches yet seem (and likely are) pretty knowledgeable

21.2.... that number would be a lot higher if i didn't start doing 10 gallon batches.

I started brewing 24 years ago but quit from 2007 to 2013, so 18 years and my yearly average during my active years is 12.

39 batches:3.4 yrs

11.4 per year

My batch size has increased over time, but number of brews has stayed about the same.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you in double digit territory, how do you do it? I would love to brew more, but my space is pretty much at capacity with 5 fermenters going at a time.

Sheer obsession my friend. Having a place to yourself helps too

Some important keys - No kids at home, no other significant hobbies, thirsty friends and a wife who loves hoppy beer.

I also have an indoor brew room...... that is a HUGE plus in brewing regularly. I never have to get anything out or put anything away. It is always there - clean and ready to go. I have harvested yeast, bulk grain, bulk hops.... I can pretty much brew on a whim if I want. Weather is never an issue, etc.

Somewhat seasonal in my brewing too. I am a teacher and coach cross country and track. Fall and spring get pretty hectic and I fit brewing in where I can. Winter months and especially xmas time allow for quite a bit of brewing, and I brew like it is my job in the summer.

Supportive wife. In fact she created the monster buy buying me the equipment to get started for Christmas. She likes that I love something so much, and of courses likes to drink my brews.

I can brew full boil Alll grain batches indoors when the weather is crappy, so that helps a lot. If the weather is good I brew outdoors, but having the option to brew indoors helps. She pretty much understands that Sunday mornings are my brew days and leaves me alone to brew. I start early and am done by noon or 1:00 at the latest. I do also use the spent grains to make dog treats, which she thinks is great since the dogs love them so much.

I have no idea. It's probably not a great ratio.

I've been brewing beer for 10 or 15 years. I've made at least 300 batches, but probably more since I stopped counting at 220 or so.

I have been making 10 gallon batches since 2009 I think. But I'm not sure. It could have been 2008 or 2010.

I have been brewing since 1991. I can't recall how many "batches" I've brewed.

But I can say that I brew at least one a week on average now.

I have mostly brewed 10 gallon batches for 20 years and this year I have brewed at least 40 batches.

so, I guess I'm a 2

Started brewing 13.5 years ago, stopped for awhile (2007-2011) and I am coming up on batch 300....so active years, I am about a 30?? Batches range from 3 to 10 gallon, I am not counting the 1 gallon's I have done, mostly as test's.

too bad I cant retroactively add anyone elses answers that posted to the poll. Pretty interested to see the distribution

I guess I'm just the over enthusiastic beginner here lol I started brewing about 3 months ago and I'm already 13 brews in. 3 were extract and 10 all grain. So I guess that means about 52 a year if I kept on with this pace. I'm about to have to take a break brewing for awhile though, since I'll be moving in a few weeks and I still haven't figured out where lol

I guess I'm just the over enthusiastic beginner here lol I started brewing about 3 months ago and I'm already 13 brews in. 3 were extract and 10 all grain. So I guess that means about 52 a year if I kept on with this pace. I'm about to have to take a break brewing for awhile though, since I'll be moving in a few weeks and I still haven't figured out where lol

tip: its going to be much easier moving all that homebrew and equipment if you offer to pay your friends in beer for helping you move. I didnt let a move stop me for more than a week. Ill never forget seeing my buddies trying to lug my kegerator up a flight of stairs with two 3/4 full kegs still inside it.

tip: its going to be much easier moving all that homebrew and equipment if you offer to pay your friends in beer for helping you move. I didnt let a move stop me for more than a week. Ill never forget seeing my buddies trying to lug my kegerator up a flight of stairs with two 3/4 full kegs still inside it.

Thankfully I don't have much, I've kept my operations pretty simple lol some buckets, a brew kettle and propane tank and burner. The main thing that's going to keep me from brewing is that I'll be moving around a lot over the next couple months. And then around May I'll be moving over seas. I'll probably gift my brewing equipment to my brother or best friend when I move abroad... Whoever will actually get the most use out of it.

I'd say 10. I wish I could brew once a month but that doesn't happen with work and now having a child. Plus I just don't drink it that fast!

Some important keys - No kids at home, no other significant hobbies, thirsty friends and a wife who loves Mango Wine

I am in a similar situation (I added the Mango Wine to your quote to suit my situation). I started to make Saisons so I could have a 3rd active Primary fermenter going at outside temp 9 out of 12 months per year along with 2 in a chest freezer with temp control. So at any given time I have 3 fermenters in primary. I also went to making meads and mango wine which I can get into secondary quicker. So for the the time to primary a batch of beer (3 weeks), I can get 3 batches of Mango Wine or Mead out of primary, and then do a 3rd batch of beer. I also try to keep all primaries full at all times. It helps with letting them sit longer and you bottle when you have empties, not rushing to bottle. That greatly improved the quality of my brews.

I have a new job with a 3 bedroom flat and only a need for one bedroom. So I have made a warm room (Saisons/Belgians) and a cool room (Ales/Stouts/Porters).

I also share about 1/2 of my brews/ferments to friends that appreciate the variety. It is pretty cool introducing them to stuff that they haven't experienced before (Meads, Saisons, etc.).

Latest posts

Back