Origin of Nottingham yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apisgallus

Reaction score
I lived in the east midlands before moving to the USA. As a new brewer I was interested in seeing there was a Nottingham yeast. Does anyone know its history? I did google it, nowt.
Also are there any Shipstones clones out there? The red star is not the Jewish Russians escaping to Israel, but Mecca for the masochists (thanks to Dolphins fool, Wocko for the song)

I think, if I remember correctly, it was extracted from a mixed strain, together with the edme strain. I think it was done for homebrew kits sold by boots. But could be that I'm mixing it all up right now. Time for a beer.

I think it was done for homebrew kits sold by boots. But could be that I'm mixing it all up right now.
No, you aren't mixing anything. Recently I was exploring exactly this subject and read on Jim'sBeerKit exactly what you say. Boots. Homebrew kits.
World is indeed just a big village :)

I found a post in a Norwegian forum that quotes an email from Robert Percival at Lallemand describing the origin of Nottingham. I’ve copied the relevant part here:
There is not a lot to share or reveal about the origins of the strain, which has been in the Lallemand culture collection for about 30 years. My understanding is that It was originally a multi strain culture given to Lallemand by a chain of chemists/pharmacy in the UK who ask the company to dry a yeast for insertion in to home brew kits. The culture had 4 strains in it and these were isolated in to single strain yeasts. One of these became Nottingham and two of the other strains were Windsor and London (which we also still produce commercially). There was no information about origin or brewery that the multi-strain culture came from. There are always lots of rumours and guesses about where strains come from but most of the time it is not that exciting, it is simply taken from a culture collection with little to no information about the ‘origin’.

Although he doesn’t confirm that the chemists was Boots in this email, this would fit with the name and the origin. I’ve seen the Boots origin reported in other places as well, but this is the most authoritative statement I’ve seen (since it comes from Lallemand).

I just checked Wheeler and Protz’s “Brew your own British Real Ale” and there’s no Shipstone’s recipe in there. Although, as someone who grew up in Nottingham, I might say that’s a good thing... ;)

I found a post in a Norwegian forum that quotes an email from Robert Percival at Lallemand describing the origin of Nottingham. I’ve copied the relevant part here:

Although he doesn’t confirm that the chemists was Boots in this email, this would fit with the name and the origin. I’ve seen the Boots origin reported in other places as well, but this is the most authoritative statement I’ve seen (since it comes from Lallemand).

I just checked Wheeler and Protz’s “Brew your own British Real Ale” and there’s no Shipstone’s recipe in there. Although, as someone who grew up in Nottingham, I might say that’s a good thing... ;)
Yes that was what I had in mind, thanks for quoting. I think I remember someone in this forum was talking about this email and he was recalling that during that time, boots were the only possible ones that actually sold home brew kits.

Have you ever heard a rendition of the Shippos song? its out there on you tube. Theres a little chinese chipper to the north of Hyson Green.....

Back