Ordered Yeast Through Mail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhart94949

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I looked through the first few pages but I am sure this has been asked before. I ordered my Wyeast W001 from Austin Brew Supply. I paid that extra for the ice pak. It took about 5 days to get here and it wasn't warm but it wasn't cold either. Should I be worried my yeast is spent??

how much extra did you pay? yeast is typically the most expensive part. I think you'll be alright, it probably wasn't above temp for too long, if it was at all.

as long as its not the heat of summer, should we ever purchase the $1 ice pack option? i always have but didn't know if it was worth it.. i'm pretty far from TX (im in PA) so it does take 3-4 days to get here

I used to worry about that a lot. I put one of those ice packs in the trunk of my car last summer as an experiment. It melted in a few hours so I doubt that it does much good when transit time is measured in days. That said, I always use a starter with liquid yeast and have never had a problem. Yeast is very resilient but the starter guarantees I will have lots of healthy yeasties to pitch.

I find that Ahs uses a lot of packing peanuts in their orders which must have some insulating properties. I'm in pa and after 3 days of transit the ice packs always arrive cool but not frozen.

My yeast worked great, bubbling away in the primary as I speak, had to switch from and airlock to a blowoff tube because it was so active.

Thanks everyone

Back