Orange Honey Hefe - Help me fix it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
"I've dun ducked up my hefe"

So my Orange Honey Hefe is nicely sitting in my Kegerator tasting good...but not very Orange Hoeny ish...more like a Circus Boy clone (which would be unintentional) so I decided to "fix it"

I stop off at Shoprite on my way home from work and grab a bottle of TrippleSec (750 I think) and dump it in when I get home (this would be Friday)

Last night I take a taste and it is still very low on the Orange Honey scale...but now I can taste the alcohol so it is very "hot" (that's the right term for tasting the it right?)

So I want to fix it...and I'm not sure time is the answer as I don't think the TrippleSec will mellow (it might but I don't know).

I was thinking of adding some Tropicanna OJ in hopes that the sweetness will cover some of the hotness.

Q1 Are there still enough yeasties in there to make the OJ into more Alchy? (which would be bad)(I used WLP300)
Q2 Is the OJ a good idea? Will it properly blend?
Q3 Should I just take this off the gass and let the whole thing mellow for a month or two and stick another spring/summer beer in its place?

Thanks all!

I would just give it some time to mellow out a bit (option #3). A quick check of the math suggests that you probably only added ~.5% to the ABV, so it shouldn't taste too hot (maybe the power of suggestion?).

If you want more orange flavor I would go with some orange zest. Orange juice beers tend to start tasting like old orange juice after a couple days. How did you try to add orange flavor initially?

Zest from two oranges at 15m was the orginal Orange flavor.
Well that and Orange Blossom Honey which always tastes a little Orangey to me.

I guess the Sec may not have mixed properly either...and the glass I got had the stuff at the bottom.

Hopefully your next sample will be better, next time around try blending in a glass before adding something to a whole batch.

For next time, I've had better result adding zest (and any delicate aromatics) right at the end of the boil.

yeah I should have just done a galss first...but this is the GF's sissy beer and I said "duck it just dump the bottle" (In my defence the TrippleSec was her idea...maybe not the delivery but the solution was)

I've got my Pliney to make me happy....and I'll need it if this Hefe doesn't calm down soon as I keep hearing it from her.

Back