Orange Cider, possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docordray

Reaction score
I am still new to the whole home brewing thing, but I do have a question. I have relatives in Florida and they send me oranges all the time. I was wondering if a orange cider would be at all possible? Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated.

I've done it, and you'll be surprised just how not-impressive it tastes. It's too acidic and bitter. Just very HOT. Maybe a lower ABV will help, and plenty of sweetening, but my two batches of orange have been disappointing. 22 batches of everything else have been great!

Hmm... the idea of maybe back-sweetening hard cider with orange juice concentrate sounds interesting. May have to give that a shot sometime. Maybe a 1 gallon batch so I don't ruin 5 gallons if I don't like it. :)

I've done it, and you'll be surprised just how not-impressive it tastes. It's too acidic and bitter. Just very HOT. Maybe a lower ABV will help, and plenty of sweetening, but my two batches of orange have been disappointing. 22 batches of everything else have been great!

One of the problems of fermenting oranges is the acidity. And so back sweetening seems to help balance the sourness, but another way is to add cocoa powder or chocolate nibs to the secondary. Chocolate orange wine can be very drinkable. But it is wine - not cider. Cider is made from apples.

I have made cider with fruit in the favorite seem to be raspberries and blackberries. I'm brewing cider with blueberries and cherry right now

Back