Opinions on Yeast for Muscadine Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
Help me decide which yeast to use.

In 2015, I used 1118, which I like. Initially, it added a distinct fermented smell and taste to the wine, but after two years, it has mellowed nicely.

In 2016, I used 71B-1122, which tasted pretty good at bottling a few months ago. 71B supposedly helps reduce acid, which is high in muscadines, plus I cold crashed before bottling. I won't know for sure about taste for another year. But so far so good.

In 2017, I'm considering the two mentioned above along with Cotes des Blanc, which is supposed to help preserve the fruity smell and taste of the fruit.

Honestly, I don't think I can go wrong whichever I choose. What say ye? I plan to make 2 to 3 gallons of red muscadine wine using Black Jumbo, Southland, and Noble muscadines.

I decided against using Cotes des Blanc after reading that it does not completely ferment the sugar added at initial fermentation. Being a novice, I'm not sure how much sugar would be remaining -- perhaps the hydrometer would tell me, but that would mean I'd also have to adjust my back sweetening when the time came. I've decided to use 71B-1122 again this year. I used it last year and am happy with the results so far. Won't know for sure until after another year of aging.

I am doing another batch from a combination of Black Jumbo and Noble. I am using the native, wild yeast. It is fermenting nicely. Aiming for 12%, then stabalize and backsweeten.

I am making a qt of muscadine liqueur for backsweetening, about 20% ABV. That way I will not loose ABV when I backsweeten.

One option would be using an ale yeast with a high attenuation and alcohol tolerance. A neutral ale yeast can be used, or if you wouldn't mind the phenolic/ester byproducts, a Belgian saison or Abbey ale yeast might fit the bill. Just remember to do staggered nutrient additions to push your yeast to the desired ABV level.
Don't limit your yeast options there are so many available.

Latest posts

Back