Richer Muscadine Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
My red muscadine wine is okay, but I'd like it richer, fuller. I'm using Noble and Black Jumbo varieties. I add no water to the process, and go thru typical fermentation using Cotes des Blanc yeast achieving 11% to 13% ABV from year to year. I also bulk age for one year, bottle the wine and age another year -- so two years aging total. I don't pay attention to pH, but I do check acid content, which is usually 6.5. When racking, I back-fill with pure cherry juice -- I like how it smooths the flavor. What can I do to get a richer, fuller wine? Right now, it looks and feels a little watered down, but it isn't.

I hate muscadines as eating grapes, but a friend made muscadine wine and I loved it. I need to try this next.

I am not an expert, but one thing I usually do for things like dandelion wine that would have little fullness otherwise is to add raisins along with the fruit/herbage.

I use 8 oz of raisins per gallon of wine. I boil them for about 10 mintues to kill any wild yeast, remove the sugar they are coated with, and soften them. Then I strain them, let them cool a bit, chop them up, put them in a cheesecloth bag, and giveit a couple of good squeezes when I add to the must when I start the wine in the primary fermenter. I remove them along with the fruit after a week or so.

I use regular raisins for darker wines and golden raisins for white-ish wines like the dandelion wine I mentioned.

My red muscadine wine is okay, but I'd like it richer, fuller. I'm using Noble and Black Jumbo varieties. I add no water to the process, and go thru typical fermentation using Cotes des Blanc yeast achieving 11% to 13% ABV from year to year. I also bulk age for one year, bottle the wine and age another year -- so two years aging total. I don't pay attention to pH, but I do check acid content, which is usually 6.5. When racking, I back-fill with pure cherry juice -- I like how it smooths the flavor. What can I do to get a richer, fuller wine? Right now, it looks and feels a little watered down, but it isn't.
Not specifically for Muscadine but adding wheat berries to must provides body. I typically use 100gm per 5 liters. Also, adding glycerol 50 ml per 20 liters will provide body, smoothness and mouthfeel, add on bottling day. Yeasts naturally produce this but adding extra brings good results.

I'm confused. You don't check pH but do check T/A? I would buy a modestly priced but decent meter to start with and go from there. Cheers.

Back