Opinions on Gambrinus Pale Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed the LHBS had a 50# sack of Gambrinus pale malt that was mislabeled as Great Western 2 Row (which I usually buy) for the same price: $51.99. Smelling a deal (which I still have no idea if it was a deal or not), I bought it.. I have never used it or read anything about it.. any of you guys use it? What can I expect? Is it appropriate for Northwest-Style Pale ales? How much different is it than Great Western 2 Row?

Thanks!:D

Don't know but I don't care for the Canada Malting two-row I got last year in the bulk buy from Mid-Country so this year I bought three bags to use as my base malt. Will let you know what I think of it after a few brews with it.

Did you get the Gambrinus ESB pale malt or just the regular pale malt? The ESB malt is a british style of 2row, similar to MO.

I use the ESB pale malt as my base malt and it works great. I think its slightly darker and maltier than the regular pale malt/regular 2row.
Check the link for more details on Gambrinus malts.
http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/Gambrinus.html

Did you get the Gambrinus ESB pale malt or just the regular pale malt? The ESB malt is a british style of 2row, similar to MO.

I use the ESB pale malt as my base malt and it works great. I think its slightly darker and maltier than the regular pale malt/regular 2row.
Check the link for more details on Gambrinus malts.
http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/Gambrinus.html

I got the plain 2 row pale malt, not the ESB malt.. I am surprised that I dont have more responses to this post.. I figured Gambrinus was pretty popular around here...

Yup, you would think that Gambrinus would be popular in the NW since they are pretty local. I can pick up a sack at Larry's down in Kent for $40-45 I think. I guess they are just not as well known as Breiss or the other big names...

Yup, you would think that Gambrinus would be popular in the NW since they are pretty local. I can pick up a sack at Larry's down in Kent for $40-45 I think. I guess they are just not as well known as Breiss or the other big names...

I wonder if any breweries in the NW use it as their base malt.....I am still surprised I have had no more opinions on the use of this malt.. It must really be a northwest thing..

My LHBS (Dan's in Van, BC) stocks Gambrinus exclusively for base malts. I really like the ESB, and pretty much use it all the time. Mind you, I've never knowingly tried any other base malt, like MO.

i use gambrinus regular 2-row alot, it is my go-to american pale malt and is delicious. I buy it down in larry's in kent too, but not in bulk :D. Theres really nothing special about it that i can see, it just has a good, clean American grain taste.

i get it at larry's in kent too :D.

I also buy Gambrinus from Larry's. I am a big fan of the ESB Malt. The Pale Malt is a very good substitute for American 2-Row.

Larry's is one of Gambrinus' main importers. If you drink beer from a Micro in the PNW, you're very likely drinking beer made with Gambrinus malt. Larry gets his delivery's a 40' trailer at a time. Larry doesn't import all that malt just to sell to homebrewers. ;)

I use Gambrinus Pale or ESB in most of my beers. My LHBS switches it out with Praire Malt Pale.

I make some pretty tasty beers, but I never use anything else. It's appropriate for all beer types that use pale base malt.

I just picked up a 55lb bag of Gambrinus Pale Malt at my LHBS for $35! The price wasn't marked and I asked what they wanted for it. I didn't plan on buying it, but when she said 35 I couldn't pass it up. Is it safe to assume this stuff is just as good as any other 2-row American base malt?

Funny. I Just picked up a bag of this (55#?) yesterday for $50. LHBS's brother accidentally sold me pre-ground Briess 2 row which I am just about out of. Had assumed that the Gambrinus Pale was a typical 2-row but it sounds better than that. Looking forward to using it based on the positive feedback here. Montanaandy

I noticed the LHBS had a 50# sack of Gambrinus pale malt that was mislabeled as Great Western 2 Row (which I usually buy) for the same price: $51.99. Smelling a deal (which I still have no idea if it was a deal or not), I bought it.. I have never used it or read anything about it.. any of you guys use it? What can I expect? Is it appropriate for Northwest-Style Pale ales? How much different is it than Great Western 2 Row?

Thanks!:D

Country Malt Group lists GB Pale at 39.85/sack vs. 32.40/sack for GW 2-Row, so it appears you got a deal if you were willing to pay $51.99 for GW 2-Row.

I just picked up a 55lb bag of Gambrinus Pale Malt at my LHBS for $35! The price wasn't marked and I asked what they wanted for it. I didn't plan on buying it, but when she said 35 I couldn't pass it up. Is it safe to assume this stuff is just as good as any other 2-row American base malt?

I am guessing you got it Tri-State? That's where I got it at.. I am bummed that I paid $52 and you got it for $35! Were there anymore left?

Always nice to see someone local on here... Haven't seen any local people for 10 months or so.... Here's to brewing on the Palouse!:mug:

Hey all, I am happy to say that since my original post, I have used the gambrinus in three brews and they all turned out great.. I was a little worried about the diastatic power of this malt to begin with, but found no problems with conversion! It's a nice, clean tasting malt and to be honest, I can't tell the difference from Great Western! Brew with confidence!

I am guessing you got it Tri-State? That's where I got it at.. I am bummed that I paid $52 and you got it for $35! Were there anymore left?

Always nice to see someone local on here... Haven't seen any local people for 10 months or so.... Here's to brewing on the Palouse!:mug:

I started out getting my grain from Tri-State but it's expensive. I usually get it from the old post office wine cellar. They sell bulk grain for really good prices, blows Tri-State out of the water! This time I went to market time drug to pick up some DME for yeast cultivation and asked about a 55lb bag of grain they had. I was really suprised when she said it was $35, that's almost half the price Tri-State wanted.

Prost to brewing on the Palouse!

I used to work for Gambrinus back in 2006-2007. They are the smallest malthouse in north america and they actually make quite a variety of malts, about 15-20 in total. they specialize in organic malts. the pale and esb are indeed the most popular, and the organic pale sells well too but is expensive. we also sold a lot of vienna, honey and wheat malt. anybody can come to gambrinus and order just one bag if they want, or more. i think we sold a 25kg bag of pale (the cheapest malt) for about $20 canadian.
glad to see people are homebrewing with this stuff. i never tried homebrewing with it myself as i wasn't into that back then and now i live in ontario. just wanted to let you guys know it is a well run good quality place and since it is smaller you get a better product in my opinion. besides a few managers the place was run by about 4 people for the most part, plus a chemist and a mechanic.

I use CMC 2-row exclusively. Although the last group buy I bought a sack of Marris Otter. In terms of raw grain taste. The Marris Otter is superior in that it has this sweetness at the back of your tongue which the Gambrinus doesn't. Having said that, I have made a Cream ale with the Gambrinus Organic pale ale malt along with the 6-row Pilsen malt and it was one of my best tasting brews to date.

I used to work for Gambrinus back in 2006-2007. They are the smallest malthouse in north america and they actually make quite a variety of malts, about 15-20 in total. they specialize in organic malts. the pale and esb are indeed the most popular, and the organic pale sells well too but is expensive. we also sold a lot of vienna, honey and wheat malt. anybody can come to gambrinus and order just one bag if they want, or more. i think we sold a 25kg bag of pale (the cheapest malt) for about $20 canadian.
glad to see people are homebrewing with this stuff. i never tried homebrewing with it myself as i wasn't into that back then and now i live in ontario. just wanted to let you guys know it is a well run good quality place and since it is smaller you get a better product in my opinion. besides a few managers the place was run by about 4 people for the most part, plus a chemist and a mechanic.

Thanks for the update.. Since my OP I have used the entire bag and found it to be very acceptable.. Produces a crisp, clean beer.. Thanks for the "insider" information on the malt house.. Sounds like a well-run place.. I will definitely be buying this again.

I have some of the ESB sitting right in front of me & wondering what to make with it. I have 2 lbs I bought on a whim when I was @ Norther Brewer last week. I'm going to add it in w/ a few other for my 1st attempt at a AG batch next week, I guess. Wish me luck.

Doing some research, I found out several NW breweries that use Gambrinus malts:

Double Mountain - Gambrinus Pilsner Malt primarily
Black Raven - ESB Malt primarily
Diamond Knot

I use Gambrinus organic pale malt, Munich, and wheat malt as my base malts, have for a couple of years. Gambrinus is a very small maltster and produce a nice group of organic malts.

Back