Opinion on Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRoyLenz

Reaction score
Hey All -

I'm in the process of ramping up my AG setup, and I got a few Amazon Gift Cards from the holidays to kill. I would like to go with a nice, big boil kettle (15 Gallon) so that I can make some 10+ gallon full boils. I've been looking around Amazon, and I was able to draft up a cost analysis chart (it's been a slow day at work) of my top 6 choices.

I was hoping you guys could take a look at what I've got below and offer your opinions. The green means that it is 'good' in that column, red meaning that it is something I don't like about the kettle.

One thing I wanted to know was how the surface area affected the brewing process. I would think you would get more evaporation with more surface area, which would be good for boiling down volumes. However, is it also harder to heat up to high temps? Right now, I'm using my natural gas stove, but I may invest in a turkey fryer if the boils proves too difficult.

60QuartPotAnalysis.GIF

It looks like the Winco Precision Sauce Pot is the clear choice, however, I'm not sure if the lid I would be getting (included in price) would fit the pot, I'd have to call and ask. It also has the highest surface area, so whether or not this is a good thing depends on the question above.

Back