Opinion needed for temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemoss

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased this refrigerator used from a meat processor.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/de...rcounter-refrigerator-5-7-cu-ft/305406CA.html

I am thinking of putting a temp control on it. The cool think about it and also the thing that causes me to pause is that the wiring for this unit is very simple. The evaporator fan is wired directly to the power, so if the unit is plugged in then that fan is always on. The compressor and condenser fan are run through the thermostat to turn on when needed.

So my options, as I see them, are:
1. Use a pre-setup inkbird type controller, and just plug it in and let it go. My concern here is that if the unit was designed for some reason to always have the evaporator fan on, this would defeat that. Anyone have any idea if this is done for an important reason?

2. Use the simpler inkbird type controller that just runs relays. I could then basically remove the built-in thermostat and use the relay to throw power to the compressor and condenser fan. Only drawback would be having to do the wiring.

What do y'all think?
Thanks

I'm guessing that the fan was always on to evaporate any condensate that would form after the compressor turns off. Restaurants don't like standing dirty water anywhere. For what your using if for, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You could run it to temp and watch it cycle and note any condensation, then the next cycle un-plug it (to turn the fan off) and see the difference.

That makes sense, and that is a good idea for a test to see how it would behave being totally off. Thanks.

If you have a controller already, just turn it to max cold, plug it into the controller, put the probe inside and set a temp to see if that fan only runs when the compressor is running or if it's running all the time.

I guess what I'm getting at is before you start changing stuff just run it and see how it really is set up to operate. Run it stock first.

Might not be much of an issue.

Back