Open Source Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you share your recipes?

• Yup

• Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.

PowellAvenueBrew

Reaction score
My brew partner and I had a great back and forth this morning about the merits of sharing recipes vs keeping them proprietary. I think we've come up with a few really great beers but I also think it's important to share what we are doing so others can give us feedback and maybe even tweak them to make them better.

We ultimately came to the conclusion to start sharing our recipes but I'm wondering how other people feel. I put up a blog post here if you want to read it. But what do you think? Do you share your creations or do you keep them close to yourself and why?

Share them. I really like the fact that many homebrewers and even micro brews share their recipes.

The recipe database here on the forum is a great place for finding good recipes, looking at them to get ideas, and them tweaking them to make them to your tastes.

I have seval recipes that I have been working on to get them just right. They are close but not quite ready for prime time. When they get there I will post them so others can see what works and then use that info to tweak them to their tatses.

I say share, unless you are a commercial brewery and want to protect a recipe.

I copy recipes, but can't always get the same grain, hops, or yeast. Even if I could, efficiency, process, and natural variation would likely create a slightly different animal.

Most people here are pretty good about referencing their source of inspiration, as far as I can tell.

Share them. I think it is rude not to. After-all, who builds a recipe 100% from scratch anyway?

You should add a poll to this thread.

If I come up with an original, truly great recipe that comes out well over 2 or three brews, I'm proud of it and I love to share. I'd like to here feedback from other brewers who brew my recipe, but that hasn't happened yet.

If I come up with an original, truly great recipe that comes out well over 2 or three brews, I'm proud of it and I love to share. I'd like to here feedback from other brewers who brew my recipe, but that hasn't happened yet.

I love getting feedback on recipes as others brew them. Dark Night of the Soul's posting has gotten me a bunch of feedback.

I love getting feedback on recipes as others brew them. Dark Night of the Soul's posting has gotten me a bunch of feedback.

+1 I feel the same i took a 1st in a competition i was in couple guy loved my beer i gave them the recipe . A friend of my at the same competition ask this guy couple question about his beer the guy was an A@s. Just blow him off. I see home brewers as a family

I say share, unless you are a commercial brewery and want to protect a recipe.

Most people here are pretty good about referencing their source of inspiration, as far as I can tell.

I wonder how many people have that longterm aspiration to go pro and protect their recipes because of it. I know a couple local homebrewers that do. I think that attribution of original source is good that way people can see how things are changing and evolving.

Share them. I think it is rude not to. After-all, who builds a recipe 100% from scratch anyway?

You should add a poll to this thread.

Poll added. Great idea. I totally agree that no one comes up with a recipe 100% by themselves, except maybe SMASH recipes. If it wasn't for other people sharing I wouldn't have learned most of what I know now and I wouldn't be able to construct my own recipes.

+1 I feel the same i took a 1st in a competition i was in couple guy loved my beer i gave them the recipe . A friend of my at the same competition ask this guy couple question about his beer the guy was an A@s. Just blow him off. I see home brewers as a family

Yeah I think we all get better when we learn from each other. There is so much knowledge on a forum like this that can help to craft great beers.

I've met a couple of those protective brewers as well. I don't ever want someone to feel like I treated them that way. I think it's much better to share, converse and be a part of the family.

There isn't much to gain by not sharing a recipe and so much to gain by sharing. You get insight and feedback. You bring pleasure to other people who enjoy the same craft as you. You also get a sense of acknowledgement and praise by having someone ask for your recipe.

For example, your blog; I would love to try the Touch of Summer beer you made. I too love Cream Soda. Do I get the oppurtunity to hang out with you, no. Do I live close to you, no. So unless you were willing to share, I would NEVER get the chance to try your creation and appreciate it.

On top of that, there is nothing worse IMO than meeting some jack off that has a rockstar mentality and blows you off. If everyone would be so stingy, where would we as brewers on this forum be?

For example, your blog; I would love to try the Touch of Summer beer you made. I too love Cream Soda. Do I get the oppurtunity to hang out with you, no. Do I live close to you, no. So unless you were willing to share, I would NEVER get the chance to try your creation and appreciate it.

Just so you know I've added the recipe pdf and beerxml for Touch of Summer. You can find it here. If you get a chance to make it please let me know what you think.

Yea, why not share them?

Somewhere I seen that no matter what combanation of ingredient you use, or what you try to throw in it, its been done before by someone

I convinced the latest surge in brewing is due to the internet and the great, free exchange of information. For years we had very limited abilities to gather and share knowledge and it took a huge effort to learn. I remember starting the first HB club in Columbus OH because of a desire to get folks together to share and learn. Now it is all right here on the internet. This forum is a great example of the fruits of sharing.

I convinced the latest surge in brewing is due to the internet and the great, free exchange of information. For years we had very limited abilities to gather and share knowledge and it took a huge effort to learn. I remember starting the first HB club in Columbus OH because of a desire to get folks together to share and learn. Now it is all right here on the internet. This forum is a great example of the fruits of sharing.

I totally agree. It's so easy to get ideas or get a few opinions on a beer. I enjoy going to the local club meetings but I learn way more reading Homebrew Talk.

Unless you're brewing commercially -- why not?

Even then why not share. We made a chile beer that did very well every time it went to the GABF and we would tell anyone who asked how we made it. Vennie has let the world know how to make Imperial IPA and that has kicked open the door and that loved style. Secrets are for the insecure IMO.

I share the majority of my recipies. There is only one recipe that I do not share. I have a very popular pale ale that all my friends and club members really enjoy. It is more of a marketing experiment than me not wanting anyone else to be able to make the beer. I gave the beer a very catchy name, "Uncle Sticky's Pail Ale" and I have noticed that the combination of the name and the exclusivity of the recipe have made the demand for that beer skyrocket. I literally can not keep that beer on tap, it disappears way too quickly.

In contrast, Edwort's (I believe) Haus Pale Ale is amongst the most popular pale ales one this forum and that recipe is open source. So there is evidence that a beer can be in very high demand without the "Marketing gimmicks".

Back