open fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i have seen some major breweries using open fermentors. how do they do this, santize the whole room? i dont htink so bc i have seen people walk in, even touch it.

I've been on a tour of a distillery. They open ferment and all but encourage the visitors to poke their fingers into the mash. It's no problem for them as they will distill the mash.
One episode of Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter had a brewery that open fermented. They used the wild airborne yeast to ferment. There was open windows and cobwebs everywhere. They said they were afraid to clean; didn't want to disturb the wild yeast.

Breweries not brewing lambic styles use yeast that forms a thick head on top that doesn't fall back into suspention which protects the beer.

A local brewery or two do this, not completely open, but just with a lid over it (bit like a carbage can type fitting). The room is kept is clean and there are fly killing things and flaps over doorways to stop too much airflow.

And the yeast does drop out of suspension, but they top skim it usually before sticking it in a bright tanks.

Back