Open fermentation experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is too late, you will have already oxidised the batch. The trick is to airlock it before fermentation finishes.
There was still some airlock activity and a 1 inch Krausen layer after I put it on. I have a feeling it's gonna be fine. I'll follow up with tasting notes in a couple weeks and note if I detect any oxidation.

There was still some airlock activity and a 1 inch Krausen layer after I put it on. I have a feeling it's gonna be fine. I'll follow up with tasting notes in a couple weeks and note if I detect any oxidation.

Not all yeasts can be used in open fermentation. Those suitable for this process produce a very thick coating and often need rousing to return yeast to the wort. Before fermentation is completed, they can be top cropped for the next brew, leaving a covering which lasts until the beer is racked.

Just bottled it all yesterday. I wish I could've done it earlier but I was waiting on a shipment from Northern Brewer. I bought the dark star burner 2.0, a case of 22oz bottles, and caps. Lo and behold only the burner arrived with the shipment (was not notified of this). I said screw it and took the bus all the way to my local home-brew shop. Serves me right for not buying local I guess

Just to comment that I open ferment because my yeasts need any closed fermentation vessel to be at least 3 times the wort volume, while can be open fermented in a vessel of twice the volume. Even so, the yeast has to be returned to the wort to keep it within the vessel and also to maintain fermentation progress.

Such yeasts should not be allowed to drop to the bottom as primary fermentation finishes, but for they that do, the vessel needs then to be covered. It is usual to harvest such yeast by top cropping when fermentation reaches its maximum rate, leaving enough to cover the surface and when that flocculates provides a complete cover that will stay intact while the green beer is gently cooled and the active yeast clean up and drop out so the beer can be racked.

Open fermentation is not necessarily a suitable process for all yeasts.

IMHO, the most important thing for an open fermentation is to eliminate air movement in the fermerntation area . If you put insulation strips around a closet door so it seals well, that should be sufficient. A plexiglass window would help to manage the curiosity factor and allow you to respond to unexpected things Maybe a small greenhouse? :)

IMHO, the most important thing for an open fermentation is to eliminate air movement in the fermerntation area . If you put insulation strips around a closet door so it seals well, that should be sufficient. A plexiglass window would help to manage the curiosity factor and allow you to respond to unexpected things Maybe a small greenhouse? :)
That might work for the hobbyist, but in a commercial environment where it is not unusual, there can be dozen upon dozen of open fermenting vessels, each with 2 to 6 feet of wort covered by 2 or 6 feet of yeast. A brew might take 8 hours, but primary fermentation typically takes 7 days needing forced ventilation to disperse all the CO2 so produced to avoid killing any nearby workers.

That might work for the hobbyist, but in a commercial environment where it is not unusual, there can be dozen upon dozen of open fermenting vessels, each with 2 to 6 feet of wort covered by 2 or 6 feet of yeast. A brew might take 8 hours, but primary fermentation typically takes 7 days needing forced ventilation to disperse all the CO2 so produced to avoid killing any nearby workers.
This is Homebrewtalk, not Commercialbeertalk!

This is Homebrewtalk, not Commercialbeertalk!

If the workers in Sam Smiths Brewery can observe their beer while it is fermenting,

SS2.jpg

have a pint and pose for a picture while standing by fermenting beer holding the side of an open fermentation vessel,

SS1.jpg

why shouldn't a homebrewer do similarly?

He could even provide a picture of an extant crust on day four when primary has finished and beer cooling gently while the yeast cleans up. This beer will be racked in 3 days time into a sealed vessel and naturally carbonate at ~50F in a week to ten days.

IMG_20230129_110713027.jpg

Hey @FoodScienceBrewer, notice this thread went dead before you posted comparative results on your beer. I'm curious to know what happened!
My apologies. I did forget to post a followup. I stole a little from the main batch before I bottled it and noticed the banana/clove flavor characteristic of a Hefeweizen. This made me very excited. When I finally got to compare the two side-by side fully carbonated I did notice a significant difference in the phenolics/esters in the open fermentation batch (higher presence of the banana and clove flavor). The difference I noticed was mainly in the smell. I do remember noticing the open fermented batch did oxidize more quickly overtime and did not remain drinkable as long as the main batch. How much longer? I couldn't say. I've been committed to taking more detailed notes in my more recent brews.

My apologies. I did forget to post a followup. I stole a little from the main batch before I bottled it and noticed the banana/clove flavor characteristic of a Hefeweizen. This made me very excited. When I finally got to compare the two side-by side fully carbonated I did notice a significant difference in the phenolics/esters in the open fermentation batch (higher presence of the banana and clove flavor). The difference I noticed was mainly in the smell. I do remember noticing the open fermented batch did oxidize more quickly overtime and did not remain drinkable as long as the main batch. How much longer? I couldn't say. I've been committed to taking more detailed notes in my more recent brews.

Very interesting! Seems like this makes logical sense from what I've heard about open fermentations before - more ester & other flavor compound production but the threat of oxidation. Thanks much for the update!

Back