Oops? No boil starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlbeer

Reaction score
Well, I made up my starter, measured the gravity, got distracted, then added the yeast slurry to it. I did not boil the starter wort. All of my glassware was clean, etc. My yeast (Wyeast British Cask Ale) was in good condition, i.e. it smelled good.

Should I proceed or dump it?

If I dump it I'll have to go buy some more :mad:.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks guys!

If I understand right, You mixed your starter, then poured it into your fermenter without letting it get started.

I use dry yeast. I use warm clean tap water and very little table sugar for my pseudo-starters. If it didn't sit, no-big-deal.

Don't dump it!

Depending - fermentation should start in a couple days.

how did you make the starter wort? liquid extract, dried extract?

Starter was DME. Put the DME in a flask, added tap water, & stirred it up. Then got distracted by a family thing going on.

My concern is the starter might be contaminated or that the extra chlorine, fluoride in the water could cause and issue with the yeasties.

The starter has not been added to wort yet. I'm brewing on Friday. :rockin:

I think if were me I'd dump this and start over. You have very little money into it yet and very little time either. It might be OK and it might not, especially with city water. If it turns out bad and you have the price of a 5 gallon batch that you have to throw out because of contamination you'd be ready to cry, especially if it didn't show up for 2 to 3 weeks.

That is a liquid yeast you are using? ...kind of spendy? What is your budget?

You could wait a couple hours and see if the yeast starts.

Mine are usually going in a few hours when I go that far.

Keep it capped and out-of-contact with room air.

You are already doing no-boil, how do you do sanitation for all of that?

I originally bought 1 smack pack of this yeast and made a starter with it and used it in a beer = Generation 1 (G1).

Saved the yeast when the beer was done then used it again a couple of months later. Made a starter and got it going again and used it in the same kind of beer = G2.

Saved the yeast (this yeast). So G3 is starting.

I decided to keep this starter and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well then I still have time to go buy a couple more smack packs for use in the beer I brew this Friday. No worries.

Thanks for the input. Gotta love HBT.

Starter was DME. Put the DME in a flask, added tap water, & stirred it up. Then got distracted by a family thing going on.

My concern is the starter might be contaminated or that the extra chlorine, fluoride in the water could cause and issue with the yeasties.

The starter has not been added to wort yet. I'm brewing on Friday. :rockin:

Chlorine doesn't boil out of water anyway, but I would be worried about contamination. I'd say start over..

A lot of breweries wash their yeast with chlorine. We as homebrewers don't really "wash" yeast generally. It won't hurt your yeasties. Proceed with caution though...

+1 to infection, which may not show up by the time you brew and ruining a whole batch would be a shame. I'd dump and start again, or switch to dry yeast.

No need to dump the starter - it's bubbling away and smells great.

Thanks for the advise guys!

Chlorine doesn't boil out of water anyway, but I would be worried about contamination. I'd say start over..

Yah, chlorine boils out. Chloramine is generally said not to boil out, but really you can boil that out as well, it just takes longer than most people are inclined to boil. :D

Yah, chlorine boils out. Chloramine is generally said not to boil out, but really you can boil that out as well, it just takes longer than most people are inclined to boil. :D

I would think by the time chlorine all boils out you will have boiled off an excessive amount of liquid..

I would think by the time chlorine all boils out you will have boiled off an excessive amount of liquid..

One of the big reasons so many municipalities went to chloramine is because of how relatively unstable chlorine is in water. Just leaving it sit out for a while the vast majority of chlorine will evaporate out.

www.iuhoakland.com/Chloramine.pdf

Back