Oops I made a sour, but I

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha_rva

Reaction score
So I was making a Saison (all grain) and apparently I screwed up somewhere along the line and introduced some bacteria. The beer is pretty well infected but before I was going to throw it out, I tried it and it was actually starting to sour up really nicely. It's been in the secondary for almost six weeks at this point and I can't bring myself to throw it out. Can I redirect and make it into a lambic at this point? It's already developing a sour -- even pleasing -- flavor and I figure, why not just go with it? Seems like a happy accident. I used Belle Saison yeast and the mash was a mix of wheat, vienna and pilsner.

What's the next step here? Should I buy a lambic blend from Wyeast and dump it in there, maybe with some tart cherries? I know this isn't true to form but I'd love some thoughts on how to improvise this.

Looks like the pellicle is just starting to form. Here is a picture.

pellicle.jpg

Back