Oops, I Cloned Spaten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Awhile back, I set out to make my second Pils batch. It was pretty simple, mostly Pilsner malt with half a pound each of honey malt and carapils.

I used the W34/70 dry Saflager yeast, and had many problems. Fermentation was gimpy, slow, and pathetic. I ended up having to raise my temps up to the lower 60's just to get it moving. It finished around 1.013 or so, but I was worried about what that stupid yeast did.

After lagering in the carboy for awhile, I tasted it and the honey malt had come screaming through, so I called it Pilsmead (or meadpils). I lagered it in the keg for another while, and I've finally got it back on tap after it took a backseat to my Saison for awhile. So the other day, one of my coworkers, the boss's son, has a Spaten craving mid-day...so we go down, my boss, he and myself, to a nice little bar down the street that has Spaten on tap. And then it hit me...this is what my "Pilsmead" tastes like. Mine's a little dark to be a pils, probably from the honey malt and the decoction I did, but it looks just like Spaten too.

So, anyway, if you want to brew up some Spaten, here you go.

So would you consider it Munich Helles? Or just some weird hybrid that tastes like Spaten and no other Munich Helles?

So would you consider it Munich Helles? Or just some weird hybrid that tastes like Spaten and no other Munich Helles?

Not sure what I'd call it, I just know it tastes like Spaten on tap. I have a true-blue Munich Helles that's lagering right now, and it tastes nothing like this, but I think it's closer to what a Munich Helles should be. I've always thought that Spaten was a bit dark and a touch sweet for a MH, but I also know that it's one of the primary commercial examples, so what can you say?

Not sure what I'd call it, I just know it tastes like Spaten on tap. I have a true-blue Munich Helles that's lagering right now, and it tastes nothing like this, but I think it's closer to what a Munich Helles should be. I've always thought that Spaten was a bit dark and a touch sweet for a MH, but I also know that it's one of the primary commercial examples, so what can you say?

I say, if it tastes good - drink it! Style guidelines have their place, but one beauty of homebrewing is being able to disregard them from time to time...:mug:

I say, if it tastes good - drink it! Style guidelines have their place, but one beauty of homebrewing is being able to disregard them from time to time...:mug:

No doubt, no doubt. I just thought it was interesting to accidentally clone something...

Back