Got Some 34/70. What Should I Make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of packs of 34/70 and a garage that is staying between 50 and 54 F these days. I want to brew something tomorrow (I'm bored!), so there's no time to order anything online, and I don't have a HBS that's L. I do have a rather big assortment of base and specialty malts, also in my garage, and noble and aroma hops, in my freezer.

What should I make?

I've already made and have on tap or am planning to make soon the following lagers:
Bo Pils
Mexican Lager
Dortmunder Export
Schwarzbier
Czech Dark Lager
Helles
Maibock
Eisbock
Rauchbier
IPL (red rye with Bergamot and Chinook)

Pre-Prohibition Lager
Munich Dunkel
German Pils

FWIW I have made a few Split batch IPL’s with 34/70 and Munich strains and preferred the latter every time. I think 34/70 can be too attenuative for an IPL, so adjust ingredients and/or mash temp up a little perhaps.

For all the lager navel-gazing I’ve done over the years, some of my favs have been no-fuss single infusion SMASH batches with 20-25 IBU’s of American C-Hops with Pils or 6-row and an ounce or two of hops in the whirlpool. Nothing compares to beer flavored beer.

Last edited:
By Munich I’m assuming you mean WY2308? I tend to default to W34/70 for almost all lagers (can’t beat dry, temperature tolerant, and clean!) but will file that for future reference.

I haven’t had great luck with Pils malt SMaSHes, but I do find a little bit of Munich malt (maybe 5-10%) in an otherwise SMaSH makes a very nice beer. I’ll give it some thought. I have a lot of interesting hops on hand.

I think I'm going with the pre-prohibition lager idea. I have some fairly dark (5-7 SRM) 6-row which I can cut with corn, 3/1 or so, and hop with something noble or noble-ish: in those categories, I have Hallertau/Tettnang/Saaz/Spalt and Fuggle/Willamette/Magnum/Polaris. I'm leaning towards Magnum; I've never used Magnum as an aroma hop before, but Google approves of the idea.

break the wall of normalacy, and brew

"A Lexx" ;)

1646317502543.png

:mug:

i'm looking at the bug eyes on the ship thinking maybe something peach?

I brewed a stout with it last year in the low 50s; came out good. If you have steady cellar temperature you can do ale recipes that call for a neutral ale yeast with good results.

I think I'm going with the pre-prohibition lager idea. I have some fairly dark (5-7 SRM) 6-row which I can cut with corn, 3/1 or so, and hop with something noble or noble-ish: in those categories, I have Hallertau/Tettnang/Saaz/Spalt and Fuggle/Willamette/Magnum/Polaris. I'm leaning towards Magnum; I've never used Magnum as an aroma hop before, but Google approves of the idea.
My favorite Pre-Pro's have been bittered w/ Cluster and finished late kettle/wp with a mix of Cluster and Liberty/Tett. But you do you :)

Back