OOPS! - Hot Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrstevenund

Reaction score
Should I be worried? I brewed the Northern Brewer American Amber kit with 1056 yeast. I brewed it on Sunday, checked on it on Tuesday and it was bubbling away at about 80F. I added 2 half gallons of ice to the fermentation box. When I checked it again Wednesday, we were down at 66F. Since then I have not seen any activity in the airlock.

I haven't checked the gravity yet. Should I be worried about off flavors? Anything I can do at this point?

Nothing you can do except let it sit until it tastes OK. Start taking gravity samples after a couple weeks and tasting them. If it tastes alcohol hot or fuselly, let it sit another week. When it tastes like warm flat beer, bottle it. Off flavors will age out quicker in the fermenter than trapped in a bottle.

Dry hopping it might hide some of the off flavors...if you find any. Its almost always a good idea.

I just had the same thing happen to both of mine, actually it usually happens that way, I just leave them in the fermenter for two weeks and bottle it and it's usually fine. Time heals a lot of things and beer is one of them :D

Back