Oops... added priming sugar too early.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_rock

Reaction score
So true to my usual form, I did something stupid... again. :drunk:

Rewind to two weeks ago. Brew day for a Lagunitas IPA partial kit. Everything goes as planned, hit OG on the nose (1.068 as I recall), and had a solid fermentation at 59-61 degrees. Very happy with this as my last batch was thrown off by warm fermentation temps.

Skip ahead to the 7 day mark, scheduled for dry hopping. FG measured at 1.014, also as predicted. For some stupid reason, I got ahead of myself and added my priming sugar after I transferred to the secondary. I guess I just got into the bottling mindset as I was anxious to get this batch moving. I figured the yeast will just snarf up the sugars, so I added the dry hops and sealed it up. The recipe I was following called for 3-5 days in secondary for dry hopping. Observed occasional bubbling at the airlock in the first 24 hours, but nothing notable. I wanted to be sure all the action is done, so I waited an extra few days, and am planning to bottle after 8 days in secondary.

So how will this likely effect the final product? My guess is that it may advance the FG a bit as the yeast will have some extra consumables, but how much exactly? I'll know for sure on Sunday when I bottle, I guess. I wonder if the extra sugar could change the mouth feel a bit, if at all noticeable? I'm hoping the extra days of dry hopping would balance this out. Any input you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll just RDWAHAHB! :mug:

You're talking what? 4-5 ounces of corn/cane sugar? I doubt you'll notice a difference, especially with a FG of 1.014. You might bump the ABV up by 0.25 or 0.5% so not too much. I don't think you've got a single thing to worry about. If you're sure it's done, go ahead and make more priming solution and bottle her up!

Latest posts

Back