O'Neill's IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justio

Reaction score
All-Grain - O'Neill's IIPA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: safale us-05
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: tiny bit of yeast from previous ipa addes at bottling to help carbonation
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.090
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 89
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68
Tasting Notes: tasted when racking to secondary and when bottling. it tasted just right.

12.5 lb American 2 row
2 lb American Crystal 10L
2 lb 2 oz Honey
1 tsp Irish moss

2 oz Chinook
2 oz Centennial
1 oz whole leaf Cascade

Mash @ 154 for at least 1 hour. Sparge with 170 degris water for at least 1 hour, collecting 7 gallons of wort.
Boil for 70 min.
Add tsp of Irish moss in last 5 min of boil. Add honey at the end of the boil.

hopping regimen..

.5 centennial @ 65
.75 chinook @ 45
.25 centennial @ 30
.25 chinook @ 30
.25 centennial @ 15
1 chinook @ 15

1 cascade whole leaf hops in secondary
2 oz centennial in secondary

I haven't tasted the finished product yet, but it tasted great at bottling, so I'm quite confident this will turn out nice.
Someone else, try this recipe and let me know what you think!!

Oh, and the safale us-05 is a fantastic dry yeast!! Normally, I totally swear by liquid yeast, but this dry yeast is exceptional. finishes fast, and dry, accentuating the hop flavor. Great for high gravity brews. I've been hearing it's great for hefe's too, so i'll be trying it w/ my honey ginger wheat this spring/summer.

why 2lbs of crystal? even with light crystal thats A LOT. Good luck getting the beer down to 1.013 with that many unfermentables...even with the honey to dry it out. Why not just go 1lb of crystal 10 and sub in an extra lb of 2-row

Did the 2oz chinook and centennial, and 1oz cascade go into the mash?

no. sorry for not being more clear. that's just my complete hops bill. the hopping regemin is below.

apparently i can only quote one at a time, or i just can't figure out how to do more than one at a time.
so..
dirty-martini, i'm pretty new to brewing still. i just kinda put something together that seemed like it made sense w/ what i've learned so far.
i definitely appreciate the input. it's very helpful to a noob like myself.

i took a hydrometer reading when racking to secondary, and it was at 1.015. so i did fall a bit short, as you guessed.

thanks for the input.

1.015 isnt bad though. the honey really helped it dry out. in general im not a big fan of crystal in IPAs, and if there is its usually below 5% of the grain bill.

I'm concerned that your beer won't have near the bitterness that it needs to be a IIPA. I made a 1.070 IPA once that had about double the amount of hops you used, and it was still too sweet. Very disappointing. Sounds like you got some decent attenuation but when you're trying to achieve huge IBU numbers, you have to use way more than what the calculator tells you.

I'd be interested to hear what you think once you taste it.

Though I will say I was going for a more aromatic iipa vs a bitter one, hence more hops late in the boil and in the dry hopping.

I still have the abv around what a some of the iipa's I drink are averaging at (Bell's Hopslam, Great Lakes' Lake Erie Monster) which is about 10%.

I really love Hopslam. I read something from a dude at Bell's who said that the ibu's in Hopslam is only in the upper 60's, with more of a focus on aromatic vs bitterness.
Though I didn't really use any of the same hops as Hopslam, or find out what the grain bill was, I guess I was just kinda trying to do my own version of it.

The calculator did give me my 89 ibu projection. I do hope to achieve that.
We'll see I guess.

So, it turned out quite well. Bitter, but not super bitter, and very aromatic. And it fermented just a tiny bit more in secondary, getting it to the 1.013 F.G. that I was going for.
It's a solid IIPA in my opinion, and all who have tried it agree. It's pretty much exactly what I was going for.

Back