One packet of uso5 enough for this or should I make a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: 2 gallon mosaic IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 45 min
Batch Size: 2 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.046
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.069
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 7.54%
IBU (tinseth): 95.61
SRM (morey): 4.12

FERMENTABLES:
4.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (81.8%)
0.5 lb - Flaked Corn (9.1%)
0.25 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.5%)
0.25 lb - Cane Sugar (4.5%)

HOPS:
0.33 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 38.78
0.33 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.1
0.33 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.16
0.33 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.42
0.33 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.16

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F
Pitch Rate: 1.25 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2016-05-27 19:42 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2016-05-27 19:41 UTC

That's the beauty of dry yeast: plenty of cells so very dependable ...and the plus is: no started required.

Thanks. I used the brewers friends yeast calculator and it said I was short 30b cells. Was thinking to use 3/4 of the packet and make a starter out of the rest.

One pack of US-05 will take that on and then some. 2 gallons? No problem

Gong for super dry, super bitter... Maybe up the chinook at 45 and more mosaic at 5

Thanks. I used the brewers friends yeast calculator and it said I was short 30b cells. Was thinking to use 3/4 of the packet and make a starter out of the rest.

Have used two packs in a post-boil batches of 5.75 gallons at same gravity. Hit FG in 6 days both times

That yeast uso5 is awesome. I did this recipe a tad lower og 1.06 and finished 6 days but I leave it sit for 10 days then cold crash

Have used two packs in a post-boil batches of 5.75 gallons at same gravity. Hit FG in 6 days both times

One packet, rehydrated, you'll be golden. Being 30b cells short is totally acceptable IMO.

If you are ready and willing to make starters, don't waste your time building them with dry yeast. Get yourself some Pacman or San Diego Super for your next IPA and make a starter with that! :mug:

I was thinking pacman but would have to order my lhbs doesn't have it

QUOTE=boydster;7577932]One packet, rehydrated, you'll be golden. Being 30b cells short is totally acceptable IMO.

If you are ready and willing to make starters, don't waste your time building them with dry yeast. Get yourself some Pacman or San Diego Super for your next IPA and make a starter with that! :mug:[/QUOTE]

I think you made a miscalculation somewhere. I doubt that you would be short at all for a 2 gallon batch. Maybe 30 billion short of the 200+ for a 5 gallon batch!!

Do not make a starter. Dry yeast is engineered to not need one. It is also cheaper to buy another pack of dry yeast than it is to make the starter. DME is expensive.

I think you made a miscalculation somewhere. I doubt that you would be short at all for a 2 gallon batch. Maybe 30 billion short of the 200+ for a 5 gallon batch!!

Do not make a starter. Dry yeast is engineered to not need one. It is also cheaper to buy another pack of dry yeast than it is to make the starter. DME is expensive.

He missed a "[" in the beginning of that quote so it doesn't read right, but that particular comment was one I made earlier just to say that if he really wants to get into making starters, don't bother with dry yeast and get a liquid culture instead.

Back